Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Advocacy, Campaign and Policy Manager (Be Protected)
Job No.: 210000IX
Contract: Fixed, Local Hire
Employee Status: Permanent
Reports to: Director of Advocacy and Campaign
Dotted Line Reports: Gombe, Katsina and Zamfara Advocacy and Campaign Coordinators
Department: Advocacy, Campaign, Media and Communication
- Level 3: The responsibilities of this post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children and young people. In the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- As part of these responsibilities the post holder will support the establishment of child safeguarding systems, promote a culture of keeping children safe, and ensure that potential harm to children (by our own staff and/or as a result of how we do our work) is identified and addressed on an ongoing basis. The post holder should report and respond to interventions as determined by position related responsibilities identified in the Child Safeguarding Policy.
Scope and Role Purpose
- This role will manage, coordinate and mobilize advocacy, campaign and policy engagements for all projects and programs related to “Be Protected”, one of the three SCI breakthroughs, through collaborating and closely working with the other two breakthrough leads, Child Protection Advisor, Child Safeguarding Advisor, Media and Communication Manager, Deputy Director/s of Program Operations, Project Managers, Field Managers, and Team Leaders – ensuring that there is an effective and coordinated team spearheading SCI Nigeria’s influence towards an accelerated positive change for all children, specially the girls, to have their rights being respected, protected, fulfilled and their voices are amplified.
- S/he will work closely with the Child Protection Advisor and Chief of Parties at states on the implementation of the advocacy, campaign, policy, social mobilization and communication strategies on Child Protection. S/he will work with the new business development unit to mobilize resources for advocacy, campaign and policy engagement components of all child protection related projects for maximum impact on children.
- S/he will ensure during proposal development that sustainability of the projects are well articulated and the project implementation are directed using both National and Subnational advocacy strategies as appropriate. S/he will also be expected to contribute to the design, review and implementation of wider SCI Nigeria Advocacy, Campaign, Media and Communication Strategy and the Country Strategic Plan (CSP).
- S/he will coordinate and oversee monthly, quarterly and annual advocacy reports that feeds into RO and donors report. S/he will work closely with CO and FO based Advocacy and Campaign teams to develop relevant materials, such as but not limited to policy briefs/briefing messages, concept notes, guidelines and undertake actions to create enabling environment and promote increasing government commitment and action on child rights and protection.
- S/he will lead on child rights and protection policy research, analysis and support the design and implementation of the programme within the right based programming approach. S/he will be responsible for leading on the development and delivery of Advocacy, Campaign and Public Financing Strategy for Child Protection/Be Protected.
- Generally, s/he owns “Be the Voice” part of the Theory of Change for all “Be Protected”/child protection related Strategic Goals in the Country Strategic Plan (CSP). In addition, s/he shall provide technical support, capacity building and technical oversight to FOs advocacy, campaign and policy engagement on child protection/Be Protected; networking and partnership building at national level; and shall promote Every Last Child Campaign/SWOC and GEC across the SCI Nigeria Country Program.
Key Areas Of Accountability
Advocacy, Campaign and Policy/Be Protected: Strategy Design, Implmentation and Quality:
- Develop, coordinate and manage Advocacy and Campaign Strategy/Be Protected, in order to influence relevant stakeholders and achieve child protection policy changes and/or adopted at national and state levels
- Lead policy and research on the domestication and implementation of Child Rights Act (CRA), develop related policy briefs, key messages for influencing national and state policy reviews, processes and discussions
- Champion, promote, coordinate and manage the implementation of ELC/SWOC and Girls Education Campaign Strategy in collaboration with Advocacy, Campaign and Policy Manager, Learn and Survive
- Mobilize and build capacities of SCI Nigeria staff, towards delivering advocacy strategies through strengthening knowledge and skills/capacities to incorporate, align and integrate advocacy into their area of work
- Monitor policy, political, economic and legal trends in the external environment and identify right opportunities to promote policy advocacy objectives, for engagement and influencing
- In collaboration with the Head of MEAL, s/he shall develop MEAL framework, track, measure, monitor and evaluate the quality of integration and implementation of advocacy, campaign and policy components in child protection related projects; and ensures clear linkage between programmatic approaches and advocacy strategies
- Contribute to the development of annual work plans, budgets, reports and document case studies and success stories on the relevant child protection/Be Protected related projects
- Ensure maximum visibility of Every Last Child Campaign/SWOC Campaign and Girls Education Campaign within Save the Children and externally across relevant platforms
- Ensure that children are at the heart of advocacy, campaign and policy engagement/Be Protected, and they are an integral part of Save the Children’s campaigning work
- Ensure proper documentation and dissemination of major activities, successes and learnings related to Every Last Child Campaign in Nigeria.
Strengthen Resource Mobilization, Networking and Partnership for Advocacy/Be Protected:
- S/he shall represent SCI Nigeria in the National Technical Working Group on Child Marriage (NTWG CM), and shall create, nurture, strengthen and maintain strategic partnership and alliance with other key stakeholders in the child rights and protection sector
- Work with Media and Communication Manager, Child Protection Advisor, Project Managers and Advisors at the CO and Field Offices to develop impact studies, case studies, for the project and ensure that these meet Save the Children Child Safeguarding Policies
- In collaboration with the Media and Communication Manager, s/he will identify story ideas, contribute to the development of compelling communications materials based on lessons learned and experiences for print and online media
- Explore opportunities to communicate about all child protection/rights advocacy projects deliverables and its impact internally and externally, with a wide variety of state and national level stakeholders using innovative methods
- Produce reports, position papers, briefing papers, policy advocacy messaging and presentations for internal and external audiences, as directed by the line manager
- Act as SCI Nigeria’s representative at state and national level as required, mainly in events relating to child protection/rights advocacy, campaign and policy engagement
- Organise events on child protection advocacy issues, including symposiums, trainings, high-level seminars and conferences, including for the dissemination of important information, learning, reports, researches and messages
- Develop and maintain a professional network for governance issues within Nigeria and within SC globally
- Build the capacity of CSOs and support the development of strong civil society engagement in Every Last Child/SWOC Campaign
- Build the strength of our campaigns through coalition building, effective networking and/or related activities as appropriate
- Work closely with relevant technical leads (TAs) to mainstream advocacy, campaign and policy engagement into programmes at national and subnational level and to ensure advocacy, campaign and policy engagement is based on evidence from Country Programmes
- S/he shall manage and implement “Be Protected”/child protection related full-fledged Advocacy, Campaign and Policy Projects, such as TECM, PCiC, ensuring an efficient donor reporting, budget utilization, and compliance
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Director of Advocacy and Campaign
Skills & Experience
- Level of Education – Post Graduate/Masters Degree.
- Specified Study Area – Human Rights, Public Policy, Law, Development Studies, Gender Studies and/or related.
- Desired Number of Years’ experience – 5/five year in Child Protection, Advocacy, preferably in INGOs.
- Requirements – English – Excellent.
- Level of IT Expertise Required – Excellent
- Profound knowledge in Nigeria governance, legal, education, and protection systems and political terrains
- Strong knowledge of global child protection policy goals and commitments
- Ability to write strong position papers and policy briefings
- Strong analytical framework to clearly articulate and communicate our policy positions
- Ability to be strategic and proactive when required to be able to keep advocacy plans dynamic and aligned to new policy and political developments
- Ability to clearly communicate and easily relate to federal and state authorities
- Able to demonstrate positive attitude, diplomatic, negotiator, and team player
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment and respect for diversity
- Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s commitment to protect children in accordance with the Child Safeguarding Policy.
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Build strong influencing networks among policy makers, donors and CSOs to push the UHC agenda.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Prior Experience Expectations:
- Building external networks
- Strategic Planning
- Governance and Gender advocacy
- Enhanced voice accountability
- Training and Facilitation
Application Closing Date
21st February, 2021.