The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Associate Legal Expert
Requisition ID: 504
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (with frequent travel to South Sudan)
Reports to: Project Coordinator – HCSS
Directorate: Office of the Legal counsel
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P2
Purpose of Job
- Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible to properly translate documents, ensure the highest standard of accuracy, and maintain the spirit, context, quality, technical language and nuances of the original version, using precise, clear and proper terminology.
- He/She will also be responsible to draft regulations, delegations, agreements and other instruments necessary to fulfil the vision and support the implementation of the Hybrid Court for South Sudan.
- Assist in the following up on the activities of the HCSS, including monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan.
- Suggest new and expand on existing policy areas for planned research.
- Contribute in conducting analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the HCSS internal use.
- Assist in setting the overall research direction of a relevant policy area.
- Responsible for the delegation and execution of defined research areas.
- Participate in the organisation of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders.
- Engage with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop working relationships.
- Support the promotion of the activities of the HCSS.
- Assist in drafting reports and participate in the preparation of budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the HCSS
- Provide technical support to internal and external stakeholders.
- Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the Associate Legal Expert will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assist in drafting internal procedures, protocols and directions for the Court;
- Prepare or work on draft Rules of Procedure and Evidence, if necessary, under the guidance of the Senior Legal Expert;
- Prepare, in co-ordination with and under the guidance of the Senior Legal Expert, draft Practice Directions on court procedures, including court filings, as may be required;
- Provide input and assistance to the Project Coordinator and Senior Legal Experts in developing and drafting other directives, policies, codes and procedures as necessary;
- The selected staff member should be willing to be located either in Juba or in Addis Ababa; and
- Undertake any other related tasks as requested by the Legal Counsel or Project Coordinator.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- University Bachelor Degree in International Criminal Law/Public International Law with 5 years’ experience as practicing lawyer, legal or special advisor in the fields of justice, rule of law, criminal or international law.
- Candidates with a Masters Degree in in International Criminal Law/Public International Law from a recognized institution must have 2 years’ experience as practicing lawyer, legal or special advisor in the fields of justice, rule of law, criminal or international law.
- Experience as a legal/special advisor in an international or hybrid criminal tribunal or court is an added advantage;
- Proven knowledge of international criminal substantive, criminal procedural case law at international or hybrid criminal tribunals or courts;
- In-depth theoretical knowledge of criminal law (both substantive and procedural), including knowledge of international legal procedures and instruments;
- Demonstrated ability to find creative and pragmatic solutions in a demanding, dead-line driven environment and to establish and maintain effective, constructive working relationships with people from different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Previous experience as a legal advisor during the planning or start-up phase of a court;
- Previous experience drafting or amending Rules of Procedure or internal court administration or process documents;
- Experience in applying expertise to analysing a diverse range of complex and unusual legal issues and problems, and in developing innovative and creative solutions;
- International experience, particularly in crisis areas with multi-national and international organisations;
- Good understanding of the political, cultural and security situation of the Horn of Africa, in particular South Sudan;
- Ability to perform under hardship and strenuous environment; and
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral, in Arabic and English;
- Knowledge of other working language of the AU or of the local languages of South Sudan.
- Change Management .
- Managing Risk.
- Teamwork and Collaboration.
- Accountability awareness and Compliance.
- Learning Orientation.
- Communicating with Influence.
- Analytical thinking and problem solving.
- Job Knowledge and information sharing.
- Drive for result.
- Continuous improvement focus.
Tenure of Appointment
- The Appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance and agreed deliverables.
- The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 85,212.07 (P2 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 66,751.81 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Application Closing Date
9th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply