World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Budget and Finance Officer
Ref Id: 2001520
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Contract duration: 12 months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Objectives of the Programme
- Country Management Support Units (CSUs) have been established in the organizational structure to provide support for Managers and staff to fully assume their responsibilities in the GSM environment and to ensure compliance with organizational policies, procedures, rules and regulations on all administrative and financial matters.
Description of Duties
- Coordinate WHO/Nigeria Budget and Finance Unit and provide leadership in capacity building across the sub offices, mainly empowering Administrative Assistant (AA) and Finance staff in accounting and compliance to WHO rules and regulations.
- Monitor and manage workplan development and implementation, budget and funding allocations, awards management, and expenditure management, and verify all budgetary and financial transactions in the Global Management System (GSM) for both the core Programme and for event response, in compliance with rules and regulations and with requirements of donors on awards.
- Work with technical units at all levels of the organization to monitor financial implementation, prepare and consolidate the budgetary and financial statements, and prepare budget forecasts and revisions for WHO/WCO activities and staff.
- Ensure effectiveness of WCO/Nigeria compliance to WHO Financial rules and regulations.
- Organize the WHO Sub-Offices (37 State Offices) performance assessment and review/prepare update on the opened issues and oversee the monthly / annual Country Office Imprest accounts closure transactions and reporting.
- Address any financial concerns from Regional office, Headquarters as well as the audit Queries/Observations/Recommendations.
- Carry out any other duties to be assigned by the Supervisor
- Essential: First university degree in Public Finance or Business Administration with post graduate training in relevant subjects such as accounting and finance.
- Desirable: Master of Business and Administration (MBA).
- Essential: At least 5 years’ experience in supervisory positions in public finance or in an international organization. Experience in preparation of analytical financial and budget reports. At least 3 years’ experience inclusivein the areas of planning, monitoring of Administrative activities. Experience in International NGOs/UN Agencies. Good knowledge of Accounting and related disciplines
- Desirable: Experience in the United Nations System.
- Thorough knowledge of budgeting and accounting practices and procedures.
- Good interpersonal skills and proven managerial and supervisory skills.
- Good knowledge of computerized accounting systems and in Enterprise resource planning (ERP).
- Ability to acquire sound knowledge of WHO rules, regulations and procedures.
- Must be computer literate and familiar with MS Windows applications. Ability to establish and maintain good relations with people at various levels and of different nationalities.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Ensuring the effective use of resources.
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
Remuneration / Benefits
- WHO salaries for staff in the Professional category are calculated in US dollars.
- The remuneration for the above position comprises an annual base salary starting at USD 60,962 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable), a variable post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station, and currently amounts to USD 1991 per month for the duty station indicated above.
- Other benefits include 30 days of annual leave, allowances for dependent family members, home leave, and an education grant for dependent children.
Application Closing Date
26th April, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO’s workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- WHO has a mobility policy which can be found at the following link: http://www.who.int/employment/en/. Candidates appointed to an international post with WHO are subject to mobility and may be assigned to any activity or duty station of the Organization throughout the world.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- *For WHO General Service staff who do not meet the minimum educational qualifications, please see e-Manual III.4.1, para 220.
Important Notice: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.