African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Ethics Compliance Officer, PETH
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50078432
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the ADB and the ADF.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Independent Development Evaluation Department (BDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRF); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat(PSEG).
The Hiring Department
- The Ethics Office is responsible for the provision of ethical advice and guidance to Management and Staff on ethical issues and assistance in preventing, mitigating and resolving ethical matters in a manner that contributes to the good governance of the Bank and helps to maintain its name, image and reputation for probity, integrity and impartiality.
- The Ethics Office acts independently of any official, department, office or other organizational unit of the Bank, but, for administrative purposes, is placed within the Presidency and reports to the President. The scope of the Ethics Office is limited to staff members and not extend to elected officers who are covered by a separate framework.
- The role of Chief Ethics Compliance Officer entails provision of advice and guidance to Staff and Management on ethical challenges and dilemmas.
- The objective is to provide impartial and confidential advice and guidance to Bank Staff and Management on all ethical related matters of the Bank.
- The incumbent ensures that Staff comply and adhere to Bank Regulations and Rules as well as the Code of Ethics in relation to their business conduct and behaviour through awareness and sensitization campaigns about Code of Ethics and relevant Regulations and Rules of the Bank.
- He/She manages the Banks’ financial disclosure requirements, conflicts of interests and any Staff external engagements that may conflict with the Bank provisions and expectations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Head of Ethics Office (PETH), the Chief Ethics Compliance Officer has the following responsibilities:
- Propose new policies, procedures, systems and ethical instruments in line with best international practices ;
- Provide ethical advice to Bank Staff and Management of the Bank to help prevent and manage the ethical breaches, to assist in the compliance with the standard of conduct set out in the Staff Code of Ethics ;
- Advise as appropriate on all ethical matters such as but not exclusive of ethical leadership, conflict of interest, gifts, harassment, external activities, political activities as well on the Bank regulations and rules ;
- Monitor and help identify actual, potential and perceived breaches to ethical and Code of Ethics standards and recommend measures for compliance ;
- Advocate for an ethical culture and ethical leadership by organizing and executing seminars, workshops and training sessions ;
- Proactively in fostering a culture of ethics, transparency, accountability and promoting ethics compliance standards for Staff and those that do business with the Bank (third Parties, Consultants) ;
- Ensure the design, development and implementation of an effective ethics compliance program to enhance integrity, compliance and the ethical conduct of the Bank for all Staff and Bank Collaborators ;
- Manage day-to-day operation of the ethics compliance Program including the Helpline ;
- Keep breast with new best practices and undertake periodical reviews and updates of Standards of Conduct to ensure continuing relevance in providing individual and confidential guidance and advice to Management & Staff on ethical issues ;
- Collaborate with Bank Departments to direct ethics compliance issues to appropriate existing channels for investigation and resolution ;
- Respond to alleged violations of Standards of Conduct by evaluating or recommending the initiation of investigative procedures. To this end, monitors, and as necessary, coordinates all compliance activities throughout the Bank ;
- Ensure proper reporting of violations or potential violations to duly authorized enforcement agencies as appropriate and/or required ;
- Establish and provide Direction and Management of the ethics compliance Helpline ;
- Institute and maintain an effective ethics compliance communication program for the Bank, including promoting use of the Ethics Compliance Helpline, heightened awareness of Code of Ethics, and understanding of new and existing ethics compliance issues and related policies and procedures ;
- Work with the Human Resources Department and others as appropriate to develop an effective ethics compliance training program, including appropriate introductory training for new employees as well as on-going training for all employees and managers ;
- Monitor the performance of the Ethics Compliance Program and related activities on a continuing basis, taking appropriate steps to improve its effectiveness ;
- Provide reports on a regular basis, and as directed or requested, to keep the Ethics Officer and Senior Management informed of the operation and progress of ethics compliance efforts ;
- Participate in the preparation of the Ethics Office Annual Activity Report that will be made available to Staff members ;
- Any other assignment requested by the Head of Unit.
- At least a Master’s Degree or its university equivalent in Ethics, Social Science, Audit, Law, Business Administration, International Relations, Policy / Social Science, or any other Social discipline linked to development programs and/or Bank operations;
- At least seven (7) year of relevant professional experience – experience in the areas of international relations, in preparing, appraising, managing or supervising sustainable development and management of projects and programs, in operations monitoring and evaluation, and/or in preparing and implementing operational policies and guidelines;
- Experience working with ethics, compliance, including in international or in large multilateral organization;
- Excellent Customer Care Skills – ensures that the client is considered to be of primary importance in all interactions;
- Excellent Communication and Interpersonal Skills and ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Commitment to the highest professional and ethical standards coupled with excellent interpersonal skills including an innovative and pragmatic approach to find appropriate solutions to key issues;
- Analytical & objective thinking & reasoning;
- Ability to make difficult decisions and being result-oriented;
- Ability to apply business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifying solutions to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the Bank;
- Ability to distinguish between ethics compliance requirements of public vs. private sector operations;
- Knowledge of the operational policies, procedures and practices of major bilateral and multilateral development agencies;
- Experience in the implementation of operations and policy management;
- Integrity, Honesty & Personal Ethics;
- Team working and relationship;
- Client orientation and Professionalism;
- Excellent facilitation and negotiation skills including in an international context;
- Excellent drafting skills;
- Proficient in the use of standard MS Office software applications, particularly Word, PowerPoint, and Excel as well as SAP. Knowledge of SAP would be an advantage;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
Application Closing Date
21st May, 2020.