The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in over 40 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Client Responsiveness Intern
Requisition ID: req11357
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Intern
Sector: Monitoring & Evaluation
Open to Expatriates: No
Background / IRC Summary
IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In early 2014, IRC opened a field office in Mubi town of Adamawa state in NE Nigeria followed by offices in Yola (Adamawa state) in November 2014 and Maiduguri (Borno state) in October 2015. The IRC Nigeria country program is implementing multi-sectoral interventions in the sectors of: Health and Nutrition; Environmental Health; Child Protection; Education; Women’s Protection and Empowerment; Food Security and Livelihoods and Protection. Most of these programs are driven in partnership with strategic local NGOs.
Job Overview / Summary
- The IRC is guided by three core principles / standards (the IRC Way); Service, Integrity and Accountability. Also, the organization is guided by the principles of the Core Humanitarian standards (CHS) as well as the Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP).
- To uphold and ensure commitment to these principles in all its projects, IRC Nigeria operates a Client responsiveness Mechanism. One of the mechanism is to collect community’s feedback through toll free telephone system. Thus the IRC would like to hire an experienced person for this job.
- The purpose of the Client responsiveness assistance, in general, is to receive feedback and complaints coming from the communities where IRC is working regarding the services the organization is rendering through the various Client responsiveness Mechanism.
- The position holder will closely work with the program team specially in liaising between the community and the organization in terms of information flow from one to the other and vise-versa.
- S / he will collect feedback coming from the community through the toll free system as well as other feedback mechanisms and pass onto the respective sector team following the organization’s feedback mechanism information flow system or depending the category level of the feedback, respond to the person who reported the complaint.
Collect feedback from communities and report to the concerned body:
- Answer tool-free calls, record the complaints / feedback applying the template/s prepared for the purpose;
- Planned visit to all IRC implementing locations
- Conduct in-depth FGD and KII where necessary
- Facilitate community awareness in IRC implementation sites.
- In-person follow up with referrals, PRs and other related outstanding.
- Ensure confidentiality of all information received is upheld and respected.
- Respond to those like information requests or answer questions if it is within her / his mandate specified in the IRC Nigeria Client responsiveness Mechanism document;
- Summarize the information and report to the concerned body as stated in the Client responsiveness Mechanism document;
- Whenever needed, clarify the questions reported to the Complain/Feedback Analysis Committee;
- Systematically and securely document the reports;
Managing / Maintain hotline services and other Accountability Mechanisms:
- Maintain the telephone apparatuses and make sure the batteries are always charged full;
- Report any technical problems to her / his supervisor on time and follow up its maintenance.
- Managing suggestion boxes installed in various locations for feedback collection.
- Devising and implementing ways of effectively communicating the Accountability Mechanisms to all project stakeholders
Perform other duties assigned by the supervisor:
- Perform other similar tasks, related to her / his area of responsibility, proposed by her/his supervisor
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: M&E Manager
- Position directly supervises: Nil
- Indirect Reporting: M&E officers
Other Internal and / or external contacts: describe the nature of departments or groups the position influences or requires support from to accomplish objectives.
- A minimum of Diploma in Communication or similar areas of studies;
- Experience in similar areas, developmental work and communication is an advantage;
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information and individuals
- Excellent computer skills especially in the use of MS Word and Excel.
- Well conversant with e-mail communication, especially Microsoft Outlook.
- Good verbal communication skills in local languages (Hausa, Fulfulde and Kanuri) and working knowledge of English is a must;
- Keen to the organization grievance reporting mechanism and commitment to IRC values and principles; and
- Passionate to humanitarian work;
- Work Experience: Previous experience in a similar role is an added advantage.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Strong data collection, analysis, and report writing skills required;
- Experience in report writing, data collection and analysis;
- Must have good verbal communication skills in local languages and working knowledge of English Hausa, Fulfulde and Kanuri;
- Demonstration of good presentation skills will be an added advantage
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with groups of diverse backgrounds.
- Language Skills: MUST be able to communicate and write in English, Hausa, Fulfulde and Kanuri
- Describe the work environment of the office “Standard office work environment” will be applicable for most jobs in the U.S.) and if applicable, the housing. For example, internet connections, electricity, amenities, group housing, etc. Include travel requirements.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Application Closing Date