The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication Officer
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
- In consultation with the IITA Communications office; implement communication strategies and campaigns to support AfricaYam II project activities.
- Maintain website of the Yam Community of Practice (YCoP) through a mechanism of regular updates and communication with relevant stakeholders;
- Develop and Participate in producing various communication materials including brochures, flyers, banners, posters, articles, news stories and technical reports on AfricaYam II project activities;
- Support the development and packaging, print/web/audiovisual/multimedia materials in a variety of formats for the AfricaYam II project;
- Monitor stories in the print and news media that cite activities;
- Co-facilitate the dissemination of farmer- friendly information activities through features writing, press releases, field days, radio programs and television;
- Assist in producing unique photography and video coverage for events/occasion;
- Support the production of training videos, conducting informative interviews and testimonials aim at promoting interventions of AfricaYam II project partners.
- Review all publications and designs materials for errors before printing;
- Create and upload engaging social media content using graphics and illustrations to increase awareness and sensitization of yam stakeholders;
- Manage all exclusive photographs and video content for social media platforms;
- Monitor all social media conversations, mentions, and other activities and provide feedback to questions and comments;
- Collect and share feedback from social media channels with relevant unit;
- Maintain the project partner and stakeholder database, making sure the database is populated and data is kept up to date;
- Perform all other related duties that may be assigned by the supervisor.
- BSc / HND in Mass Communications, Journalism, Media Relations, English Language or related degree in social science with a minimum of three (3) years’ experience performing related roles in an international organization.
The ideal candidate must:
- Expert knowledge in the use of Microsoft Office Applications – Word, PowerPoint, Outlook applications; Cloud data storage tools – Google drive, DropBox, OneDrive.
- Adept at using major social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Good skills in writing, editing and proofreading, concept and brand creation
- High degree of motivation, initiative, independence, reliability, adaptability, and professional maturity.
- Good command of English – possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team-oriented multicultural environment.
- Experience in the use of graphic design software – Adobe Suite, CorelDraw etc; will be a plus
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
21st July, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested applicant should forward their Applications include Covering Letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, Curriculum Vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)