Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in more than 100 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality.
Catholic Relief Services began working in Nigeria in the 1960s and was active during the 1967 civil war in the area of emergency response. After the war, the Nigerian government asked CRS and other international development agencies to leave the country. Thirty years later, with the return of democracy after years of military rule, CRS returned to Nigeria in 2000 at the invitation of the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria. In partnership with the Catholic Church, other faith-based and community-based organizations, the private sector, local and international NGOs, and government institutions, CRS implements a range of complex programs with support from a variety of donors and private funds.
CRS operations in Nigeria are undertaken through local organizations in agriculture, emergency response, orphans and vulnerable children, health, HIV, governance and peace building. CRS has worked in 34 of the country’s 36 states, demonstrating the agency’s extensive grassroots networks and tremendous capacity to reach the rural poor.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Consultant – BASICS-II Marketing Agent for Seed Entrepreneur Networks
- CRS is implementing the Development of Cassava Seed Entrepreneur (DCSE) component of Building Economically Sustainable Cassava Seed System (BASICS-II) in Benue and Kogi State. BASICS-II is being implemented by a consortium of organisations led by IITA and covers the entire cassava seed value chain, ranging from breeder to farmer seed.
- The project’s vision is to provide farmers with access to affordable, quality-assured seeds of the cassava varieties in demand by local food and processor markets through the establishment of a commercially viable seed value chain operating across breeder, foundation, and commercial seed levels. This value chain will enable more efficient dissemination and adoption of new varieties to improve productivity, raise incomes of cassava growers and seed entrepreneurs, enhance gender equity, and contribute to inclusive agricultural transformation in Nigeria and Tanzania.
- The DCSE component of the BASICS-II project which is being implemented by CRS will include the aggregation of CSEs and cover production and marketing of certified planting materials of improved cassava varieties to farmers within and outside of Kogi and Benue states. In implementing the componet, CRS will identify, train and work with the Cassava Seed Entreprenures (CSEs) to plan and organize their seed production and marketing activities.
- They will be supported to be organsied as formidable Seed Entrepnuers Networks (SENs) operational in the implememntation states. The strategic objective of the DCSE component for Nigeria is to more than double the number of decentralized, commercially viable seed enterprises in Nigeria, while they increase in average size and aggregate into associations to facilitate marketing, quality control, and other services.
The project seeks to engage the services of Marketing Agents for Seed Entrepreneur Networks in Benue and Kogi States. The Marketing Agent will:
- Assist CSEs in connecting with quality input suppliers,
- Assist CSEs in identifying profitable output markets for certified stems,
- Undertake demand mapping and marketing activities to create additional demand for certified cassava stems utilizing SeedTracker and similar tools,
- Assist in the aggregation of CSEs production to fill orders from clients,
- Coordinate with actors (including IITA GoSeed, Umudike Seeds, Nigeria Cassava Growers Association, National Agricultural Seeds Council) to ensure the delivery of timely inputs and services for the CSEs and SENs.
Application Closing Date
7th September, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are to submit an application, current professional profile and resume for provision of the services as a single attachment in MS word document to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “BASICS-II Marketing Agent for Seed Entrepreneur Networks” as the subject of the email.
Note: Completed applications should reach us before the close of business, September 7, 2020, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Equal Employer Opportunity:
- CRS is an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, color, religion and we are committed to gender-sensitive programming and management etc.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply
- By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking.
- Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
- Recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.