European Centre for Electoral Support (ECES) is a non-profit private foundation headquartered in Brussels with a global remit. ECES promotes sustainable democratic development through the provision of operational support and management of projects and large basket funds in favour of electoral processes. ECES works with all electoral stakeholders, including EMBs, civil society organizations involved in civic & voter education and election observation, political parties and parliaments dealing with electoral reforms, media, security forces and legal institutions confronted with electoral dispute resolution.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Consultant on Development of Draft Model Law for State Indedendent Electoral Commissions (SIECs) in Nigeria
Reports To: Project Coordinator and Executive Director
Duration: 20 Working Days (December 2021 – January 2022)
- ECES is an independent and not for profit Foundation headquartered in Brussels with a global remit. Since its establishment in 2010, ECES has implemented activities in more than 50 countries, mainly, but not only, in Africa and the Middle East, primarily with funding from the EU and EU Member states.
- ECES promotes electoral and democratic strengthening through the provision of advisory services, operational support and management of large projects mainstreaming capacity and leadership development via peer exchanges and comparative experiences, dialogue and the prevention and mitigation of electoral conflicts.
Functions / Key Results Expected
ECES seeks 2 Consultants to develop a Draft Model Law for State Independent Electoral Commissions of Nigeria (SIECs). The consultants, under supervision of the Project Management Unit and Executive Director will facilitate the development of the Draft Model Laws with the following specific, responsibilities and will provide the following deliverables:
- Collate existing enabling laws and operational guidelines of the 36 State Independent Electoral Commissions of Nigeria;
- Undertake a desk review of the enabling laws of the SIECS with a view to identify areas of convergence and divergence;
- Undertake engagements with Electoral Stakeholders especially Chairmen of SIEC5. State Houses of Assembly, INEC, development partners with a view to seeking their inputs into the draft Model Laws;
- Prepare the draft of the Model Laws;
- Facilitate validation meeting of Stakeholders on the Draft Model Law.
The Consultant will be expected to deliver as follows:
- Report of the Desk review of existing legislation’s of SIECs
- Report of Engagement with Electoral Stakeholders
- Draft Model Laws for SIECs
- Report of the Validation Meetings on the Draft Model Law.
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of the ECES;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling ECES’ values and ethical standards.
- Advanced University Degree or equivalent in Political Science, Administration, Social Sciences or any related field of Study.
- At least ten (10) years of relevant work experience with proven experience of relevant work on election management work In Nigeria;
- Previous experiences in similar positions within not for profit organisations and/or International organisations;
- Demonstrable experience working with State Independent Electoral Commissions;
- Familiarity with the Nigerian electoral laws;
- Excellent reporting and analytical skills;
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office applications is-a must;
- Good Interpersonal skills and result orientation;
- Ability to work in a multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to perform effectively under high pressure, hardship conditions.
- Excellent working level of English Language in both writing and speaking.
Application Closing Date
30th November, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application Documents below to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Applications should consist of three separated documents:
- A Motivation Letter of maximum one page
- Curriculum Vitae of maximum of three pages
- A 1-page Financial Offer for this service.
- No further documents are required at this stage.
- Applications will be considered for the two seperate consultants as individual Experts or jointly for a team of two to select the required comnpetences to provide this service.
- Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.