Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Deputy Head of Department – Nutrition and Health
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employment Type: Full Time
Department: Nutrition and Health
Experience: Senior Manager / Supervisor
Proposed Start date: June 2021
Direct Line Manager: Head of Department-Nutrition and Health
Company Overview & Job Description
- Action Against Hunger (Action Contre la Faim – ACF) began operations in Nigeria in 2010 in response to the high rate of chronic malnutrition in Northern Nigeria, focusing on integrated programming and looking at the Nutrition for children, pregnant and lactating mothers.
- In 2011, we expanded our work to begin implementing nutrition development projects in Jigawa and Yobe.
- Following the crises in Northeast Nigeria, we further expanded our operations in Borno State in 2014 in response to the crisis to address the Nutrition, Health, Food security & livelihoods, WASH, and shelter needs of conflict-affected communities. We are operational in 11 Local Government Areas of Borno, 12 in Yobe, and 3 in Jigawa.
- The mission has over 600 staff including over 40 international employees. There are four base offices: Damaturu, Maiduguri, Monguno, and Dutse, and three sub-bases including Potiskum, Bade, and Damasak.
- Action Against Hunger is looking for a Deputy Head of Nutrition and Health Department to contribute to the successful implementation of nutrition and health program activities in Yobe state.
- Lead on the definition and the implementation of the country-specific advocacy and communications strategy in close collaboration with other Coordinators and HQ advisors ensuring alignment with ACF’s global and regional Advocacy strategy and objectives;
- Conduct health and nutritional situation analysis in the Yobe state;
- Ensure effective integration and coherence of AAH’s health and nutritional activities – Primary health care, nutrition surveillance, feeding programs, health system strengthen – in accordance with the AAH country strategy and the national and state Ministry of Health strategy;
- Support Health and Nutrition Head of Department to ensure the cohesion of the health and Nutrition teams within themselves and with the other sector programs;
- Support Health and Nutrition Head of Department to ensure programs are harmonized, standardized and in line with the most up to date AAH protocols and tools;
- Create an archive AAH and Sector Nutrition and Health protocols and tools and ensure this is available and disseminated to field teams;
- Technical support to Sector and Nutrition Project Managers;
- Train AAH nutrition and health teams on technical issues (methodology, protocols,) as needs arise;
- Ensure good quality of the trainings provided by the nutrition and health teams to partners and that these trainings match with AAH and national nutrition and health protocols;
- Ensure compliance of programmes in achieving project objectives according to current grants;
- Actively engage surveys, operational researches and guideline development at national and states level;
- Support field teams implement measures to ensure rational use of medical supplies in all AAH intervention sites to guarantee a high standard of care;
- Provide technical guidance to the pharmacy team with regards to handlings of medical commodity in coordination with Health and Nutrition Head of Department;
- Represent Action Against Hunger and its interests to donors, partners and counterparts;
- Actively participate in the Nutrition Sector Coordination meetings and health Sector Coordination meetings in coordination with the Health and Nutrition Head of Department;
- Participate in monitoring the successful implementation of nutrition and health activities;
- Contribute to the overall mission and program strategy, narrative and financial project proposals and reporting, in collaboration with Health and Nutrition Head of Department /support department and other program coordinators as necessary;
- Contribute to the technical review of monthly/quarterly/annual AAH nutrition and health reports to guarantee standard and high quality of information;
- Contribute to the technical review of nutrition and health project intermediary and final reports to guarantee standard and high quality of information.
- Degree in Medicine, Public Health or Nursing;
- At least 5 years of experience in managing nutrition and health programs in underdeveloped/ crisis contexts;
- Humanitarian field experience, preferably with supervisory role;
- Excellent skills in report writing and analysis;
- Sound understanding of national guidelines/protocols;
- Experience communicating in different cultural work environments & with a wide diversity of cultures.
- Previous AAH experience a plus;
- Experience of working with the national ministry of health preferably;
- Work experience in international NGO context, with a sound knowledge of treatment and management of malnutrition and reproductive health issues.
Minimum Basic Salary and Benefits
- NGN 575,072 per month.
- Other benefits include but not limited to 100% health care coverage, paid leave per year, free and direct access to Cross Knowledge e-learning platform.
Application Closing Date
25th May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Our employees enjoy a work culture that promotes diversity and inclusion
- Action Against Hunger provides Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
- Qualified women are strongly encourage to apply.