Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Deputy Head of Department: WASH
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full time
Department: Programmes – WASH
Experience: Senior Manager / Supervisor
Company Overview & Job Description
Action Against Hunger (Action Contre la Faim – ACF) began operations in Nigeria in 2010 in response to the high rate of chronic malnutrition in Northern Nigeria, focusing on integrated programming and looking at the Nutrition for children, pregnant and lactating mothers. In 2011, we expanded our work to begin implementing nutrition development projects in Jigawa and in Yobe. Following the crises in Northeast Nigeria, we further expanded our operations in Borno State in 2014 in response to the crisis to address the Nutrition, Health, Food security & livelihoods, WASH, and shelter needs of conflict-affected communities. We are operational in 11 Local Government Areas of Borno, 12 in Yobe and 3 in Jigawa.
ACF is looking for a Deputy Head of Department for our WASH programs in Borno state. The job holder will ensure the proper coordination/integration between all ACF WASH (Regular Program and Emergency intervention) and other sector programs.
- Ensure effective integration and coherence of ACF’s WASH activities – technical designs, constructions, capacity building – in accordance with the ACF country strategy and the national RUWASA and Ministry of Water Resources.
- Support WASH HOD to ensure that programs are harmonized, standardized and in line with the ACF protocols and tools
- Analysis of the WASH situation in Borno state.
- Assist the WASH HOD in overseeing the work of WASH sector managers in order to ensure good compliance of activities within the objectives of the mission and of proposals – this includes regular visits to the teams in the field in order to evaluate achievements; to discuss the constraints encountered, the possible solutions and to make recommendations for current and future programs
- Develop/revise HR structure and plan for ACF WASH department in Nigeria
- Guarantee the technical quality of the construction activities (respect of ACF and RUWASA designs and guidelines)
- Review and update technical designs for construction of water and sanitation facilities
- Review construction BOQs, designs and validating them
- Represent ACF in relevant meetings and conferences when requested.
- Participate in in-country relevant meetings related to WASH, including meetings with donors, partners and governmental bodies
- Encouraging the collaboration with other sector agencies Support to ACF advocacy activities related to WASH issues (follow up on advocacy plans, press releases)
- Participation/organize in weekly coordination team meetings and any other general team or strategy meetings
- Follow up of WASH program budgets in liaison with the finance team and program managers, to ensure budget expenditure is in line with program objectives and timeline in collaboration with WASH HoD
- Prepare bi-weekly WASH updates
- Revision and compilation of field team reports, including narrative, Monthly ACF WASH report to be sent to WASH HoD– which includes an overview of the WASH situation in Nigeria, external coordination update, achievements for the past month and objectives for the following month
- Prepare handover or End of Mission reports as necessary.
- Post-graduate-level education in a technical field, preferably in civil/environmental engineering or in another relevant field such as architecture/construction management, public health etc
- At least 5+ years of experience in construction, managing construction/WASH programs in underdeveloped/crisis contexts.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian WASH guidelines.
- Technical design skills using AutoCAD or Arch CAD,
- Proposal development and reporting skills
- Good anticipation, planning skill, especially in changing work contexts.
- Problem-solving ability; ability to enforce procedures
- Experience communicating in different cultural work environments & with a wide diversity of culture
- Willingness and ability to travel to the field for program monitoring and supportive visits.
Minimum Basic Salary
575,072 Naira monthly.
Application Closing Date
12th February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Action Against Hunger provides Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.