The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Development Adviser
Webcruiter ID: 4221578915
Full-time / Part-time: Full-time
Percentage of full-time: 100
Reports To: The Deputy Director (NIF) (Localisation and Development)
- INGO Forum in partnership with NRC is looking for a Development Adviser for Abuja Country Office, in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the Development Adviser position is to supervise and oversee project implementation and ensure timely and quality delivery of planned activities.
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja.
- NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- The INGO Forum in Nigeria was formed in late 2014 to develop a collaborative platform for effective and principled INGO interaction, engagement and coordination for humanitarian, recovery and development interventions in Nigeria.
- Since inception, the INGO Forum has become a critical platform for ensuring effective information sharing and analysis; leadership on advocacy and policy engagement; and liaison with government/donor/UN engagement and engagement ensuring the perspectives of INGOs and affected populations are ultimately included in decision-making processes.
- The INGO Forum is governed by a core membership of 41 members (and 6 observers) with new member applications pending approval on a regular basis, The INGO Forum is governed by an elected Steering Committee of five Country Directors and a Chair that works alongside a full-term Secretariat. Since March 2017, the INGO Forum is administratively hosted by NRC in Nigeria’s capital city of Abuja as well as Maiduguri.
Duties and responsibilities
- Adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- S/he will represent, maintain coordination and communication with key stakeholders for NIF’s development program, promoting collective NIF member collective efforts and contributions
- Ensure the office team stays abreast of the multiple activities, grant technical financial and policy oversight, provide guidance and support to the NIF member organizations and external stakeholders with active hands-on collaboration
- Promotes strong operational linkages and exchanges with the development coordination architecture and stakeholders engaged in similar programming to ensure the sharing of best practices and expertise, and particularly across the thematic areas.
- Support the activities and facilitation of the relevant NIF working group activities and engagements
- Develop contacts with the government and private sector counterparts, donors and international agencies working in the relevant thematic areas;
- Cooperate with the national counterparts in the resource mobilization efforts and identify opportunities, based on the government’ priorities and donor’s available resources;
- Build partnership and cooperation with strategic players, including donors’ community, UN agencies, private sector, international financial institutions and relevant international and national agencies/institutions;
- Lead the team’s effort in identifying opportunities for mobilization for thematic areas or new areas of interest to donors
- Stay informed on political, socio-economic and health contexts, while providing structured updates to NIF as it relates to development globally, regionally and nationally.
- Help organize and facilitate high-level working groups or policy forums or workshops as necessary.
- Ensure compliance with donor and host agency (in this case, NRC) regulations
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Support efforts and initiatives to scale up, broaden and sustain the global movement of action for the SDGs.
- Experience working in the military or security agencies
- A relevant post-graduate degree (Masters or Ph.D.), and an excellent track record in one of the following areas: Economics, Development economics, public policy, public health or international development.
- Required data analytical and interpretation skills and a demonstrated ability to use STATA or similar tools.
- Over 7 years of experience working in Education, Finance, Governance, Public Health, and sustainable development goals.Experience of working with Federal and/or
- State government institutions; international organizations, public policy consultancies or large private sector organizations
- Strong communication skills with excellent written and spoken English. Knowledge of major foreign languages is an advantage.
- Willingness to work across a broad range of technical issues and policy functions as required
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling an insecure environment
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and experience in humanitarian settings.
We can offer
- Commencement: April 2020
- Duration: 12 months (One-year renewal)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions of grade level 9 step 1
- Duty station: Abuja, with frequent travels. Travel outside Abuja is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- An approved health certificate will be requested before the contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application procedures and CV registration
- Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV.
- There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.
- Nigeria nationals only.