The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Conference Management and Publications
Job ID: 253
Location: Addis-Abeba, Ethiopia
Employent Type: Contract (3 years)
Directorate: Conference Management & Publications
Number of Direct Reports: 7
Number of Indirect Reports: 151
Job Grade: D1
Purpose of Job
- To provide strategic direction and leadership in managing the operations of the Conference Management and Publications Directorate in order to achieve the AU strategic objectives and goals respecting the quality and timelines that maintain the Commission image at an optimum level.
- Develops and executes the overall strategy for the Directorate and ensures alignment with overall organizational strategy;
- Manages and supervises employees within the Directorate, ensures the timely delivery of the Directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Drives the implementation and monitoring of policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the Directorate’s annual targets in line with the organization’s overall goals and maintains robust departmental monitoring and evaluation systems;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Divisions within the Directorate;
- Manages the work of the Directorate and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Leads the Directorate and ensures effective management of personnel, budget, performance, program quality, employee relations matters and training in conformity with relevant rules, policies and procedures;
- Builds and maintains good working relations and collaboration with other Directorates/Departments;
- Develops and maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member State and partner institution;
- Coordinates meetings between the organization and relevant partners;
- Ensures the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and other reports;
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization;
- Implements and Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Directorate;
- Develops and oversees policy development and guidelines in line with the organization’s legal framework;
- Designs policies consistent with the AU’s strategic goals and mandate in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Prepares and oversees integrated programs, projects and overall activities of the organization.
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for the Directorate;
- Manages risks, develops mitigation measures and ensures business continuity of the Directorate;
- Guides the Directorate’s activities in line with the policy guidelines and best practice in global and local conference servicing ;
- Ensures operational management of global and local conference services of the AUC by addressing needs of clients and delivering services to their satisfaction by providing conference systems, services, equipment, planning capacity, managing workforce for translation and interpretation text processing, printing and publishing.
- Ensures the development and enforcement of policies and procedures relating to the provision of conference services
- Ensures overall management of the Directorate personnel, budget, performance, timeliness of services and document delivery, quality completion, efficiency and effectiveness of programme delivery in conformity with relevant rules and procedures;
- Initiates and monitors arrangements for external contracting of translation work and recruitment of freelance service providers;
- Monitors coordination of logistical arrangements for external meetings;
- Develops and maintains relations with international organizations concerning terminology and innovations in translation, interpretation, printing, reprography and publishing facilities;
- Any other related assignments as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in management, administration, conference servicing or related fields with 15 years of experience out of which 8 years are at managerial level and 5 at supervisory level.
- Experience in conference services management in similar international organizations is an advantage.
- Experience in facilitating intergovernmental processes and multicultural diplomacy is desirable.
- Professional qualifications in interpretation or translation are an added advantage.
- Leadership and management skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Knowledge in project Management
- Planning and organizing skills
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, standards and processes
- Communication, presentation and report writing skills
- Knowledge in the use of Microsoft Office suite and AU computer software systems
- Ability to actively seek, identify and apply appropriate technology to improve programme delivery
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Driving Change
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationships
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge
- Drive for Results
- Innovation and taking initiative
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 78, 138.00 (D1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
18th May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.