The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Management Information Systems
Requisition ID: 276
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Deputy Chairperson
Directorate: Management Information Systems
Number of Direct Reports: 6
Number of Indirect Reports: 24
Job Grade: D1
Purpose of Job
- To provide strategic direction and leadership in managing the operations of the Management Information Systems Directorate in order to achieve the AU strategic objectives and goals.
- Develops and executes the overall strategy for the Directorate and ensures alignment with overall organizational strategy;
- Manages and supervises employees within the directorate, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Drives the implementation and monitoring of policies, strategies, and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the directorate’s annual targets in line with the organization’s overall goals and maintains robust departmental monitoring and evaluation systems;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Divisions within the directorate;
- Manages the work of the Directorate and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Leads the directorate and ensures effective management of personnel, budget, performance, program quality, employee relations matters and training in conformity with relevant rules, policies and procedures;
- Builds and maintains good working relations and collaboration with other Directorates/Departments;
- Develops and maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member State and partner institution;
- Coordinates meetings between the organization and relevant partners;
- Ensures the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and other reports;
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization;
- Implements and maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Directorate;
- Develops and oversees policy development and guidelines in line with the organization’s legal framework;
- Designs policies consistent with the AU’s strategic goals and mandate in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Prepares and oversees integrated programs, projects and overall activities of the organization.
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for the Directorate
- Manages risks, develops mitigation measures and ensures business continuity of the directorate
- Formulates Information System and ICT strategies, and provides IS and ICT services to support the Strategic and Functional Objectives of the Organization;
- Provides guidance on ICT acquisition and management in line with defined ICT standards, policies and technologies, and ensure their compliance;
- Develops and implements business continuity protocols to minimize disruption to business operations in the event of emergency situations or data loss.
- Develops metrics to measure performance of IT infrastructure and systems to assess operating costs, productivity levels and upgrade requirements and report on progress made in improving ICT capability.
- Coordinates security and compliance of all information assets within the Organization;
- Drives digital transformation in line with the organization strategic goals.
- Oversees data integrity, quality traceability of the organization and its business units;
- Oversees the design, development and integration of the organization’s data, applications, IT Infrastructure and Information Systems (IS) while promoting effectiveness and cost efficiency as well as operation of all major AU processes using ICT as an enabler, including improvements to work processes;
- Coordinates meetings of IT Strategy and Steering Committees to ensure optimal IT value within the Organization.
- Any other related assignments as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics Engineering, Management, Business Administration, related fields and with 15 years’ experience in the field of Information Technology; implementation and management of large-scale information systems of which eight (8) years should be at managerial level and Five (5) years at supervisory level. Proven track record of management and technical leadership in delivering ICT services in offices located worldwide.
- An ICT certification in ITIL, Project Management, CISCO, SAP and Security is an added advantage.
- Managerial and leadership skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Ability to initiate and identify key strategic opportunities and risks
- Ability to actively seek, identify and apply appropriate technology to improve programme delivery
- Communication and report writing skills
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Driving Change
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationships
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge
- Drive for Results
- Innovation and taking initiative
Tenure Of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 78,138.00 (D1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
31st May, 2021.