The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Director of Citizens and Diaspora Organizations
Requisition ID: 275
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Deputy Chairperson
Directorate: Citizens and Diaspora Organizations
Number of Direct Reports: 2
Number of Indirect Reports: 9
Job Grade: D1
Purpose of Job
To provide strategic direction and leadership in managing the operations of the Citizens and Diaspora Organizations Directorate in order to achieve the AU strategic objectives and goals.
- Develops and executes the overall strategy for the Directorate and ensures alignment with overall organizational strategy;
- Manages and supervises employees within the directorate, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Drives the implementation and monitoring of policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the directorate’s annual targets in line with the organization’s overall goals and maintains robust directorate monitoring and evaluation systems;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Divisions within the directorate;
- Manages the work of the Directorate and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Leads the directorate and ensures effective management of personnel, budget, performance, program quality, employee relations matters and training in conformity with relevant rules, policies and procedures;
- Builds and maintains good working relations and collaboration with other directorates;
- Develops and maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member State and partner institution;
- Coordinates meetings between the organization and relevant partners;
- Ensures the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and other reports;
- Ensures the effective management of funds attributed to the directorate;
- Implements and Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Directorate;
- Develops and oversees policy development and guidelines in line with the organization’s legal framework;
- Designs policies consistent with the AU’s strategic goals and mandate in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Prepares and oversees integrated programs, projects and overall activities of the organization.
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for the Directorate;
- Manages risks, develops mitigation measures and ensures business continuity of the Directorate.
The Director of CIDO, manages the directorate and two divisions focusing on three major areas:
- Provides support to the Deputy Chairperson in close consultation with Cabinet, Departments, AU Organs and Member States, African Civil Society, Diaspora communities worldwide, diplomatic missions accredited to Member States, International Organizations, Donor Communities, regional organizations and other relevant bodies in the mainstreaming of civil society and the African Diaspora in the affairs of the AU and the conceptualization and development of new initiatives as well as in the implementation of coherent policies relating to the substantive AU agenda.
Staff Direction and Management:
- Supervises and coordinates the activities of the civil society and Diaspora Divisions, including staff and programme activities, effective follow-up on decisions and recommendations, coordination and liaison with other Directorates and relationship with partners and donors.
Financial and Programme Management Matters:
- As Principal Programme Manager, he/she will also be responsible for preparation of budgets and implementation of programmes, liaising, as appropriate, with Cabinet and Finance Directorate on the planning, monitoring and reporting of the Commission’s budget and supervising donor relationships and monitoring the Commission’s funding mechanism.
- Exercises overall management responsibility to ensure timely production of reports, analyses, briefing notes, background papers and talking point for the Chairperson of the Commission and other relevant political functionaries.
- Acts as a focal point for organizing relevant meetings and plan and support civil society programmes and activities in general and the Economic, Social and Cultural Council of the African Union (ECOSOCC) in particular;
- Promotes relations within the African Diaspora and the implementation of the AU’s Diaspora Initiative;
- Initiates actions and participates in activities to raise extra-budgetary funds;
- Develops and proposes modalities for the involvement of Member States in the implementation of the AU’s Diaspora Initiative and civil society agenda;
- Promotes advocacy of the decisions of AU Policy Organs in this area of competence;
- Seeks and expands cooperation with civil society and Diaspora networks, research institutions, intergovernmental organizations and other relevant agencies that will support these objectives.
- Ensures the coordination and implementation of AU decision in the various organs.
- Ensures the management of Directorate: personnel, budget, performance, quality, discipline and training, in conformity with relevant rules and procedures in force;
- Any other task or attribution assigned by the direct supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s degree in Political Science, International Relations, Law, Public Administration Diplomacy, Strategic Studies or Social Sciences, with 15 years relevant experience of which 8 years should be at managerial level, and 5 years in a supervisory role
- Experience in the areas of civil society organizations, diplomacy, democracy, good governance, human rights preferably in a regional or international working environment is required.
- Leadership and innovation skills
- Interpersonal skills and ability to works with people from various backgrounds and create an environment where diversity is respected
- Communication and presentation skills
- Planning, budgeting and organization skills
- Computing skills
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese and Spanish) fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Driving Change
- Managing Risk.
- Building Relationships
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact.
- Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge
- Drive for Results
- Innovation and taking initiative
Enure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Indicative basic salary of US$78,138.00 (D1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum),
- For internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
31st May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.