The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director of Medical and Health Services
Requisition ID: 277
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Deputy Chairperson
Directorate: Medical and Health Services
Number of Direct Reports: 2
Number of Indirect Reports: 58
Job Grade: D1
Purpose of Job
- To provide strategic direction and leadership in managing the operations of the Medical and Health Services Directorate in order to achieve the AU strategic objectives and goals.
- Develops and executes the overall strategy for the Directorate and ensures alignment with overall organizational strategy;
- Manages and supervises employees within the directorate, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Drives the implementation and monitoring of policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the directorate’s annual targets in line with the organization’s overall goals and maintains robust departmental monitoring and evaluation systems;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Divisions within the directorate;
- Manages the work of the Directorate and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Leads the directorate and ensures effective management of personnel, budget, performance, program quality, employee relations matters and training in conformity with relevant rules, policies and procedures;
- Builds and maintains good working relations and collaboration with other Directorates/Departments;
- Develops and maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member State and partner institution;
- Coordinates meetings between the organization and relevant partners;
- Ensures the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and other reports;
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization;
- Implements and maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Directorate;
- Develops and oversees policy development and guidelines in line with the organization’s legal framework;
- Designs policies consistent with the AU’s strategic goals and mandate in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Prepares and oversees integrated programs, projects and overall activities of the organization.
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for the Directorate
- Manages risks, develops mitigation measures and ensures business continuity of the directorate
- Oversees the comprehensive coverage of health care needs for African Union Commission staff members and their eligible Dependents, as well as staff members of the African Diplomatic Corps based in Addis Ababa.
- Leads the medical coverage of AU Conferences, Meetings and Summits.
- Oversees the organization of medical referral services and medical evacuations for AU Commission staff members, as well as members of the African Diplomatic Corps.
- Oversees the preventive and curative health care for MHSD clients as stated above.
- Oversees the pre-employment medical evaluation and assessment for AU staff and annual medical assessment of AU personnel prior to renewal of contracts.
- Provides leadership in the implementation of the Medical Assistance Plan or Insurances Scheme adopted by the Commission.
- Provides advice on Health-related programs and matters to the AUC, Regional Offices and Organs.
- Leads the provision of technical assistance in planning, running and maintaining health services for AU Peace Support Operations.
- Leads the organization of outreaches to AU Regional Offices/ Organs on health-related issues.
- Leads the implementation, monitoring, supervision and evaluation of projects and programs within the Medical and Health Directorate.
- Ensures the preparation and submission of periodic reports on activities and specific missions of the Directorate.
- Performs any other relevant duties assigned by the immediate supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Masters’ Degree in Medicine (MD, MBBS, BMBCh) with 15 years’ relevant experience of which 8 should be at Managerial level and 5 years at Supervisory level
- Must have relevant work experience with a government hospital /private practice or an international organization.
- Must be a licensed medical practitioner and Specialist in a relevant field.
- Managerial delegation, political tact and supervisory skills to achieve documented objectives.
- Ability to work effectively with people from various backgrounds and create an environment where diversity is respected.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with top level stakeholders.
- Ability to identify key strategic opportunities and risks.
- Ability to actively seek, identify and apply appropriate technology to improve program delivery.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Driving Change
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationships
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge
- Drive for Results
- Innovation and taking initiative
Tenure Of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 78,138.00 (D1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
31st May, 2021.