Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Job ID: 210000EJ
Post Type: National
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- Driver is responsible for the safe driving of Save the Children International vehicle, staff and Assets.
- The Driver will ensure cleaning, proper maintenance of vehicles in compliance with the Driver’s handbook and safe driving standards, ensuring the vehicle is fuelled in time for trips and the proper management of the fuel supply for that vehicle.
- The driver should do so in accordance with SC policies and procedures.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Supply Chain Assistant
- Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Key Areas of Accountability
- Maintain the vehicle log and fuel consumption documentation
- Keep the Vehicle Documents Folder up-to-date:
- Support the Head Driver with the Vehicle Usage report, including trip use, mileage and fuel consumption.
- Maintain a valid driver license, registration and valid permits all the time
Control of Vehicles:
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are authorized in advance by Line Managers.
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are to be recorded in the log book at the start and completion of the journey
- Ensure that the keys and vehicle documents are kept in a secure place when the vehicle is not in use.
- Ensure that s / he wears the vehicle safety belt and all passengers also wear seat belts before driving the vehicle.
On the road:
- Ensure that the line manager is immediately informed of any accidents, the Accident report is filled immediately and the accident reported to the police as soon as possible.
- Ensures safety of passengers at all times
- Safe transport of all staff, equipment, and materials
- Save the Children has a no passenger policy – this relates to all non agency personnel and is for reasons of safety, the continuance and equity of the programme.
- Save the Children may give lifts to agency and Governmental staff on occasion for the benefit of the programme – see passenger policy for details.
- SCI reserves the right to refuse entry to a vehicle any staff member without identification documents or who cannot be identified by SC staff.
- In the event of a medical emergency lifts may be given on prior approval of the programme manager – see passenger policy for details.
- Check the vehicle prior to its use in the morning and after use
- Check the vehicle before departing from work.
- Check, on taking over a vehicle, that the items listed on the Vehicle Check List and the items listed in the Vehicle Tools and Materials Inventory are present and in full functioning order.
- A driver is to check for vehicle defects and damage to the vehicle and ensure that he reports them to his line manager. After consulting a mechanic, the line manager will make the decision as to whether the vehicle should be taken off the road for repair.
- Report and supervise all maintenance and repair needs of assign vehicle.
Cleanliness & Visibility:
- The driver is responsible for ensuring that his vehicle is kept clean on the outside and inside at all times. The driver is also to keep the vehicle tidy and ensure that all rubbish is removed from the vehicle after a journey.
- Driver is to ensure SCUK visibility protocols are adhered to at all times.
- Follow and abide by the traffic rules, SC regulations, driver safety manual and any other instructions given by the Line Manager
- Maintain all vehicle’s safety equipment, as per vehicle safety kit, in liaison with the logistics officer – including first aid kit, communication equipment, tow rope and fire extinguisher
- Work after duty hours or holidays as and when required and with prior notice from line manager
- Perform any other relevant and appropriate requested by the Line Manager
Skills & Experience
Administrative & General Skills:
- A full and clean driving license
- Should have 3-5 years experience of professional driving.
- Prior experience as a driver in an international NGO, UN agency or private company
- Ability to multi-task and work calmly under pressure is essential for this position.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in insecure environments is critical.
- Some practical experience of user vehicle maintenance.
- Personal Qualities:
- A proactive and flexible approach to work
- An ability to work with minimum supervision
- A systematic approach to work
- A people orientated person who enjoys working in a team
- A keen interest in self development
- A reliable, polite and professional attitude to ensure SCI is perceived as such.
- Working knowledge of the Save the Children Emergency Manual, Sphere, and Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Strong oral and written English language communication skills required.
- Ability to speak Hausa language fluently.
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and frustrating working circumstances is required.
- Any additional skills and / or experience that could be used by Save the Children would be taken into account in the selection process.
- A heavy goods driving license.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
4th February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.