African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Energy Specialist (Knowledge), PESR1
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
- The main objectives of the Energy Specialist (Knowledge) position are to help further develop and disseminate the knowledge and information on all work streams of the Division by:
- Articulating, scoping and prioritizing research needs on key trends and recent developments of the African energy sector;
- Gathering the information necessary to generate and disseminate distinctive insights and knowledge on the African energy sector using specific formats and appropriate platforms;
- Conceptualizing, overseeing and writing briefs, articles, case studies, etc. that capture specific sector challenges and convey valuable insights from the African Development Bank and its partners effectively;
- Developing the Africa Energy Portal content with improved functionalities and features and maintaining the website to effectively make it a one-stop-shop for all data, news and information on the African energy sector.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Energy Policy, Regulation and Statistics Division Manager, the Energy Specialist (Knowledge) will perform the following:
- Collect and synthesize knowledge and information necessary to support the Bank’s policy dialogue efforts in the energy sector;
- Produce information in support of the Bank’s programs and projects in the energy sector, such as energy bulletins, blogs and analytical case studies;
- Disseminate distinctive insights and knowledge within and outside the Bank using specific formats and appropriate platforms, e.g. by producing and collecting a variety of sector-specific reports, policy briefs, country profiles, and other knowledge materials on energy-related issues in Africa;
- Conduct effective outreach and communication by coordinating blogs, newsletters, webinars, media interviews and events in relevant platforms;
- Create visually attractive content for use on specific formats and platforms such as the Africa Energy Portal, using data collection, analyses, and visualization for specific audiences;
- Perform regular client satisfaction surveys of the Africa Energy Portal audiences and make the necessary adjustment to reflect the needs and requirements of users;
- Engage and enhance partnerships with stakeholders in the energy space including Development Finance Institutions, Think Tanks, Universities, Private sector, and professional associations;
- Liaise and collaborate with departments of the Bank in charge of IT & Communications to ensure coordination and the good functioning of the Africa Energy Portal; and help solve any technical issues related to the hosting and management of the Portal as well as all communications-related matters.
Hold at least a Master’s degree Energy, Economics, Finance, Business Management, Development Studies, or equivalent;
- Have a minimum of five (5) years relevant professional experience;
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Holistic view on the energy sector in developing countries, including a good understanding of the key trends and developments in frontier-markets;
- Abilities in collection, analysis and dissemination of information and knowledge;
- Comfortable with multi-tasking, ability to work efficiently under pressure and keep tight deadlines
- Track-record of producing high-quality briefs and analytical documents.
- Deeper knowledge on key regional issues linked to electricity access gap, power utilities, regulation, regional power pools, renewable energy, climate change in Africa;
- Knowledge of website/database content management applications and/or Mailchimp platforms are desirable;
- Strong interest in energy, climate change and sustainable development in Africa.
- Background in media, communication, research and/or academic research is desirable
- Ability to support interaction with a range of target audiences and building and maintaining successful networks with key stakeholders.
- Communication – Good listener with demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas
- Problem Solving
- Client Orientation
- Team working and relations
- Ability to make effective and timely decisions
- Proven experience working on energy policy issues, particularly in African countries;
- Practical knowledge of approaches to structural economic reforms including political economy aspects of sustainable energy and complementary reform policies; as well as familiarity with sustainable development.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, MS Projects).
- Ability to use various tools available and applied by the Bank such as SAP, Mailchimp and Drupal.
Application Closing Date
18th February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information & Notice
- This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG (link sends e-mail)
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.