The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) has received a credit from the International Development Association (IDA) towards the cost of the Transforming Irrigation Management in Nigeria (TRIMING) Project and it intends to apply part of the proceeds of the credit towards payment for consultancy services in the form of an individual consultant as:
Job Title: Workshop and Equipment Manager
Reference No: FMWR / TRIMING / 2020 / INDV / CS / 02
Locations: Kano / Jigawa / Zamfara / Sokoto
Name of Project: Transforming Irrigation Management in Nigeria
Project ID No: P123112
- The TRIMING Project is seeking to recruit individual Professional Experts (Consultant) in the above-named area with experience in investment operation relating to the management of Farmers Management and Service Centers in TRIMING Project Sites of Kano River Irrigation Scheme (KRIS) Kadawa in Kano State; Hadejia Valley Irrigation Scheme (HVIS), Auyo in Jigawa State; Bakalori Irrigation Scheme (BIS), Talata Mafara in Zamfara State and Middle Rima Valley Irrigation Scheme (MRVIS), Goronyo in Sokoto State.
- A set of the individual experts working as a Team will under the supervision of their respective FMC Board of Trustees (BoTs) primarily support the TRIMING Project Management Unit (PMU) in the Management of Farmers Management and Service Delivery Centers in each Project Site.
- The four Farmer Management and Service Delivery Centers (FMC5) have been registered under the Nigeria’s Companies and Allied Matters Act of 1990 (CAMA) as companies limited by shares.
The Objective of the Assignment and Duration:
- The purpose of the FMCs is to address challenges faced by small-scale farmers in four irrigation schemes of BlS HVIS, KRIS, and MRIS. Identified constraints include, but are not limited to, access to quality inputs, mechanization services, advisory services, and credit.
- The FMCs are also envisioned to act as catalysts strengthening managerial capacities of smallholder farmer cooperatives and apex cooperatives that are the majority shareholders in the FMCs.
- The FMCs objective is to transform irrigation agriculture into a commercially viable investment, leading to improved productivity, reduction in post-harvest losses, improved quality of commodities, and a more efficient and predictable marketing system.
- The FMCs are also envisioned to improve farmers’ access to financial services.
- The duration of individual subject matter experts for this assignment will be for initial period of two (2) years, with the possibility of annual renewal for the project duration subject to work requirements and satisfactory performance.
Functions of FMCs
The function of FMC5 for this assignment in liaison with National Project Coordinator (NPC) will primarily include, but not limited to the following:
- Warehouse (and pack houses for tomato) development to encourage large off-taker interest and allow for cleaning, grading, insurance, farmers’ access to credit facilities using warehouse receipt system and long-term storage and improve quality of onward supply. It is expected that warehousing will also help to buffer the price for paddy farmers.
- Facilitation of inputs supply and agro-dealer support and development
- Facilitation of mechanization services
- Facilitation of finance for scheme value chains
- Market facilitation to support establishment of long-term offtake contracts and contribute to the creation of more competitive, inclusive, and resilient market systems
- Provision of technical services and advisory – extension services, business development, accounting, and bookkeeping services to cooperatives, etc.
- Provide support to the general manager for the development and management of infrastructure to support intensive commercial farming and for facilitating access to relevant farming inputs and mechanization. The equipment and inventory manager will:
- Establish and maintain an inventory of FMC assets
- Monitor and facilitate maintenance of existing infrastructure (warehouses, pack houses, and other facilities) and equipment to support effective and profitable management of estates
- Working closely with specific managers, plan for infrastructure and facility development of the scheme to ensure their continued economic and social viability
- Support sector-level cooperatives to manage land preparation and procurement of appropriate equipment, facilities, and other materials
- Identify need for amenities and, working with the general manager, facilitate provision of these by exploring various models of public private partnerships
- Manage regular and systematic procurement of agricultural inputs, including equipment tools and agrochemicals
- Oversee and ensure maintenance of equipment
- Facilitate establishment of demonstration plots in partnership with inputs suppliers and technology providers.
- First Degree or Diploma in Mechanical Engineering / Agriculture and five years’ experience working in an agriculture mechanization company or commercial agriculture enterprise.
Consultant EOI / Shortlisting Criteria:
- Interested individual consultants should submit their Curriculum Vitae (CV) with all the necessary document attached such as copies of engagement letters etc. and other supporting information that the CV demonstrates that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the services.
The short-listing criteria are:
- Evidence of General qualifications of the consultant (Education, Training, and work Experience
- Adequacy for the Assignment: Evidence of general experience in area of expertise listed above
- Evidence of specific experience in/of particular area of expertise in general management, workshop/ equipment management and administration/finance or similar fields as it is applicable to area of expertise
- Proven experience of project management, administration and financing, especially in Nigeria’s private sector.
Application Closing Date
2.00pm (Nigeria local time) on 7th August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their expression of interest via e-mail or hard copy (all relevant documents must also be submitted) to the address below depending on the area of location:
ATTN: National Project Coordinator,
Transforming Irrigation Management in Nigeria Project,
Federal Ministry of Water Resources,
Plot 1402, Abba Kyari Street, Off Adesoji Aderemi Street,
Apo – Abuja, Nigeria.
TeI: +2348038391469, +2348052048706.
Important Information / Notice
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and employment of Consultants (under IBRD loans and IDA Credit and Grants) by World Bank borrowers. January 2011 edition and revised in July 2014 (Consultants Guidelines) setting forth the World Bank Policy on Conflict of Interest.
- Interested consultants may obtain further information from the address below during office hours 08:00 and 17:00 (Local time Monday to Friday) and /or send an email to the National Project Coordinator at address firstname.lastname@example.org
- The detailed Terms of Reference (ToR) for the position can be found at the following website: www.triming.org
- Each successful candidate has to make arrangements on his / her personal security in the course of discharging his / her official responsibility.