The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Finance Analyst, NOB
Job ID: 38124
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – FINANCE
Vacancy Type FTA Local
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- Under the guidance of the DRR Operations and the supervision of the Operations Manager, the Finance Analyst is responsible for effective delivery of financial services, transparent utilization of financial resources and management of the Country Office (CO) Finance Unit. He/she analyzes and interprets the financial rules and regulations and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex financial issues. The Finance Analyst promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
- The Finance Analyst supervises and leads the staff of the Finance Unit. The Finance Analyst works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the CO and with UNDP HQs staff and Government officials ensuring successful CO performance in Finance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implementation of operational and financial management strategies
- Projects’ budget management and organization of the cost-recovery system
- Control of CO accounts
- Control of CO cash management
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures implementation of operational and financial management strategies, and adapts processes and procedures, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and audit follow up with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of the financial resources management system.
- CO Finance business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance, control of the workflows in the Finance Unit.
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for development and management projects.
- Elaboration of the framework and conditions of contributions within the CO resources mobilization efforts.
- Elaboration and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies.
- Routinely monitors financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and investigates anomalies or unusual transactions. Informs supervisors and other UNDP staff at Headquarters of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
- Ensure appropriate actions for audit review and the implementation of finance related recommendations.
Manages the project budgets and organizes an optimal cost-recovery system
focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Financial resources management through planning, guiding, controlling of the resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Preparation and monitoring of budgets of management projects.
- Establishment of the development projects’ budgets preparation/modification monitoring system, control of budgetary status versus authorized spending limits (ASL) and budgets delivery levels.
- Elaboration of proper mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in budget management.
- Preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the services provided by UNDP.
- Ensure the effective management and recovery from the DPC project;
Ensures proper control of CO accounts focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Elaboration of the internal expenditures’ control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared; MPOs, travel claims and other entitlements are duly processed, receipting of goods and services and establishment of accruals are properly done in compliance with IPSAS and UNDP policies and procedures..
- Manager level 1 in Atlas.
- Control of accounts closure;
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Control of the Accounts Receivables for UNDP projects and maintenance of the General Ledger.
Ensures proper CO cash management focusing on achievement of the following
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions. Provision of information to supervisors and other UNDP staff at HQ on the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
- Daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Atlas to monitor imprest level; identification and record of contributions.
- Primary contact with local bank management on routine operational matters including negotiation of exchange rate on replenishments.
- Member of bank signatory panel.
- Approval and submission of monthly UN exchange rate reports to Treasury
- Timely and accurate approval of bank reconciliation, including documented review of exceptions.
- Initiation of bank transfers and deals, selecting bank transfers and deals for approval and settlement.
- Reviewing and manage the Paycycle role with GSSU;
- Timely preparation of monthly cashflow forecast for use by Operations Manager. Liaison with UN Agencies to obtain estimate of their cash requirements.
- Role as supervisor for cash disbursements made on site.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO and
guidance to all stakeholders on financial matters focusing on achievement of the
- Organization/conduct of training for the operations/programme/projects staff on financial management and RBM.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in financial resources management and success in introduction and implementation of operational strategies.
- Accurate, thoroughly researched and documented financial information, timely and appropriate delivery of services ensure client satisfaction and enhance UNDP credibility in use of financial resources.
- Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
- Develops awareness of the various internal/external learning and knowledge-sharing resources
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets; manage contributions and investments; manage transactions; and conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery.
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates the same in his/her work
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development:
- Basic research and analysis
- Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to diagnose problems and identifies and communicates processes to support change initiatives
Design and Implementation of Management Systems:
- Research and analysis and making recommendations on management systems
- Make recommendations relative to work-processing approaches and procedures which would lead to more efficient systems design
- Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management:
- Gathers, analyzes and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced (Masters) University Degree in Finance/Accounting, Business, or Public Administration, or a professional accounting qualification from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy.
- Professionally qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- UNDP Advanced Accountancy & Finance Test required.
- 2 years of relevant experience in providing financial management and accounting advisory services, managing staff and operational systems
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required for external candidates.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
Application Closing Date
5th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement.
- We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.