The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Job Identification: 894
Location: Jos, Plateau
Job Schedule: Full time
Job Category: Finance
Generic Responsibilities (max 10):
- These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Ensure proper filing of supporting documentation
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Ensure that the accounting, monitoring and reporting are according to procedure
- Maintain budget control and monitor cash flow for the area office
- These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
- Maintenance of the internal control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and travel claims, are duly processed.
- Ensure that staff advances, returns and claims conform to NRC standards and laid down policy before approval is made.
- Establish a good tracking system for advances and ensure that clearance of advances is done on time.
- Proper control, archiving and filing of all supporting documents related to payments for projects and Field Offices
- Ensure timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Post all Area Office payments and ensure that correct coding of expenditure on all payment Vouchers, Purchase Orders and Purchase Requests is done.
- Ensure monthly financial documents from the Area Office are scanned and archived in O365 as per guidelines given in the SSD manual and shared with the Country Office
- Assign duties, supervise, train and appraise the Finance Assistant.
- Responsible for preparation and remittance of monthly taxes deducted from staff, suppliers and consultants on time to relevant authorities.
- Contribute in the design, development and implementation of the financial management policies, procedures and practices
- Support the Finance Team Lead in audit preparations and close outs
- Ensure that all cash and bank payments are processed on time, fully approved and with high quality supporting documentation
- Ensure daily and weekly cash counts are done for the area office and prepare the monthly reconciliation of the bank and cash accounts
- Cover for the Finance Team Lead during absences
Context/ Specific skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in similar position preferably with an NGO
- Minimum of University degree in related field.
- Good skills in Excel and Word
- Good knowledge of accounting packages; preferably Agresso
- Good knowledge to initiate the revision of finance SOPs
- Good knowledge of the North – Eastern Nigeria context
- Member of any professional accounting body is an added advantage.
Generic Professional Competencies:
- Experience from working as a Finance Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Some knowledge of English and Hausa.
Behavioural Competencies (max 6):
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies and the following are essential for this position:
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results.
- Empowering and building trust.
- Communicating with impact and respect.
Application Closing Date
9:09 PM, 24th February, 2021.