Mutual Benefits Assurance Plc. (MUTUAL), has evolved into a conglomerate consisting of value-adding companies with diverse interests in various sectors of the Nigerian economy through investments, strategic alliances and partnerships. Today, MUTUAL is a leading brand in the Nigerian Insurance industry and well-capitalized with a team of highly trained professionals, a respectable Board and access to the International Insurance Market.
MUTUAL is the flagship of insurance in Liberia and also runs a full-fledged insurance operation in Republic of Niger, where we commenced business in January, 2014.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Head, Internal Control
Location: Ebute Metta, Lagos
- Design, revise or update appropriate internal control, audit & compliance strategy and framework for the bank.
- Ensure proper documentation, recording and tagging of the company’s fixed assets.
- Liaise with external auditors
- Makes financial control-related recommendations on specific major projects or plans.
- Ensure that credit facilities to any customers or group of customers are in line with the regulatory guidelines; clearly defined internal policies and debt service capability.
- Monitoring of conditions subsequent to draw down for timely detection of documentation deficiencies.
- Ensure that all credits have been approved in accordance with the credit policy.
- Ensure that all pre-disbursement conditions have been met.
- Ensure that all collateral documents are properly kept and perfection carried out.
- Review approved credit for quality, performance and compliance with approved terms & condition in the credit policy. Ensure all credit are approved in accordance with the credit policy and any regulatory guidelines. prompt escalation of any deficiencies noted
- Carry out spot checks on loan customers to verify due diligence done prior to draw down
- Identify all non performing accounts and pursue workout strategies in collaboration with loan officers
- Ensure that limits are monitored.
- Ensure that income, fees, maturing repayment & other charges are captured.
- Detection and escalation of un-authorized credit.
- Implementation of policy driven credit related sanctions.
- Preparation of exception report as required.
- Custody and maintenance of credit files.
- Ensure that a review of the portfolio is carried out on a quarterly basis
- Ensure that appropriate recommendations are implemented such that the desired level of credit quality and performance are attained and sustained.
- Take necessary measure to ensure adequate quality assurance in operation i.e. call over. General ledger proofing/ reconciliation, integrity test, departmental control etc.
- Ensure proper verification of expenses before processing and disbursement of funds.
- Track bank deposits and payments
- Ensure compliance on report rendition to regulatory bodies.
- Ensure compliance to the bank rules, policies, and regulations.
- Review of the statutory returns to regulatory authorities and government agencies to ensure accuracy and timely rendition.
- Customers’ visitation for random deposit verification.
- Review the accuracy and reliability of financial transaction records – cash deposits, cash withdrawals, treasury bills investments, fixed deposits, and funds transfer.
- Involve in the thorough review of the bank’s accounting software, applications, digital platform and authorizations or permissions for efficiency.
- Reviewed customers’ account opening documents for compliance with Know Your Customer (“KYC”) policy and anti-money laundering requirements.
- Ensure compliance with the bank’s policies and conduct daily, weekly and monthly General Ledger (GL) review for reconciliation.
- Conduct sweep exercise and spot check on tellers and account officers.
- Schedules and plans audits; initiates project planning, assess risk and develops audit direction.
- Performs preliminary planning and establishes direction for audits, provides leadership to assigned auditors, manage project to quality outcomes, while meeting established time budget.
- Carry out spot checks on operational activities at branch, area and regional levels and take action on infractions or non-compliance issues.
- Conduct periodic checks on payroll.
- Ensure that prompt investigation of frauds, forgeries, breach of policies and procedures and serious customer complaints are conducted and ensure necessary action is taken on the outcome.
- Make recommendation for policy amendments based on emerging issues in audit and internal control.
- Takes responsibility for the training, coaching and mentoring of subordinates
- Perform other duties and responsibilities, as may be assigned by the Managing Director or by the Board.
- A good Bachelor’s degree/HND in Accountancy, plus Relevant professional qualification such as ICAN, CIBN, etc. MBA or M.Sc. will be added advantage.
- Minimum of 7 – 10 years relevant experience in a reputable firm preferably in the Financial Services Industry, Experience in a microfinance bank setting in related role is an added advantage.
- Experience in reporting to a Board/Board Committee.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft office programmes
- Knowledge of relevant accounting packages
- Knowledge of best practices in internal control and audit
- Knowledge of existing regulatory framework
- Excellent reporting skills
- Strategic thinking
- Managerial and leadership skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Flair for details
- Team-building skills
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
Application Closing Date