The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resource and Administration Officer
Job Identification: 813
Location: Job, Plateau
Job Schedule: Full time
Project number: NGFM0000
Job Category: Human Resources
Reports to: HR/Admin Coordinator
Duration and Type of Contract: 1 Year
Role and Responsibilities
- The purpose of the HR officer is to provide Human Resources support to the various human resource functions in the NRC Field office in Maiduguri Nigeria which include recruitment, staffing, training and development, performance monitoring and employee counselling. The following are a brief description of the role.
- These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated support function portfolio according to the plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- The HR / Admin Officer is expected to achieve the following during this contract period.
- Provide support to supervisors and staff to develop the skills and capabilities of staffs.
- Supervision of the HR / Admin Assistant and cleaners
- Recruiting staff – this includes developing job descriptions and person specifications, preparing job adverts, checking application forms, shortlisting, interviewing and selecting candidates.
- Provide information to staff, supervisors and staff on human resource and work-related issues.
- Promoting equality and diversity as part of the culture of the organization
- Implementing policies on issues like working conditions, performance management, equal opportunities, disciplinary procedures and absence management.
- Implementing with line managers HR planning strategies which consider immediate and long-term staff requirements
- Induction and Onboarding of newly recruited NRC staff and keeping Appropriate records
- Coordinate with relevant partners, suppliers, authorities, lawyers, Pension Office, etc
- Provide support to supervisors and staffs to develop the skills and capabilities of staffs.
- Monthly stock reporting and stock count of Items in the HR / Admin store
- Preparation of ID cards and documentation of new staff
Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Strategy and project planning: HR Manager, HR / Admin Coordinator
- Base / Country Office operations: Country Director, Programme Managers, Consultants, Advisors, Support Functions
Scale and Scope of the Position
- HR Assistants, 3 Cleaners
- Other NGOs, Pension Office, Medical Insurance Company
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
- These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies:
- Experience from working as a Support Function Officer in a humanitarian / recovery context:
- Good university degree from a reputable university
- Professional degree would be an added advantage
- Knowledge about own leadership skills / profile
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English both written and verbal
- High-level competence in computer skills (Microsoft Office Applications)
Context / Specific Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Good communication skills
- Good negotiation skills
- Knowledge of the Nigerian context
- Experience with start-up activities
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies, and the following are essential for this position:
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Managing performance and development
- Managing resources to optimize results
Application Closing Date
24th February, 2021 by 12:02 PM