The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources and Administration Officer
Location: Accra, Ghana
Institution: ECOWAS Regional Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERERA)
Agency: ECOWAS Regional Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERERA)
Department: Regulatory Council
Directorate: Administration, Finance & Human Resources
Division: Administration, Human Resources and Finance
Line Supervisor: Principal Officer, Administration, HR and Finance
- Under the supervision of the Principal Officer, Administration, Finance & Human Resources, the incumbent will assist to manage the Agency’s activities pertaining to Human Resources and Administration and ensure high level of professionalism.
Role and Responsibilities
- Liaise with relevant Institutions/Stakeholders and follow up on correspondence with and outside ERERA.
- Assist with planning, organizing and overseeing the Administrative and HR functions of ERERA.
- Assist with monitoring and meeting the administrative/HR and material needs of ERERA, and assist in the preparation, storage and retrieval of requisite records.
- Provide administrative support for the procurement process in ERERA.
- Prepare the periodic status reports of ERERA, including drafting of briefs, minutes of meetings, speeches, letters and other relevant documents as needed in ERERA to be reviewed by the Principal Officer, Administration, HR and Finance .
- Ensure a properly maintained filing system for Administrative/HR documents in ERERA.
- Under the supervision of the Principal Officer, Administration, HR and Finance, preparation of the agenda of meetings and supporting material for distribution.
- Update Staff lists, documentation of new Staff and ensure that their requirements and needs are met for the effective functioning in ERERA.
- Provide ad-hoc support to ERERA as and when the need arises
- Responsible for processing issues relating to Insurance Policies.
- Responsible for supervision of the Registry.
- Assist with the preparation of reports and briefs for the Principal Officer, Administration, HR and Finance; and other superior officers.
- Supervise subordinate staff and assess adequacy of manpower, monitor overtime and duty allowances and handles standard personnel matters in the area of activity.
- Perform other tasks which may from time to time be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in the Social Sciences or Humanities from a recognized University.
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in administration and human resources management
- Knowledge of human resources policies, procedures and practices relating to leave, compensation, benefits, pensions, medical, recruitment, payrol, etc and the ability to interpret and apply them in an organizational setting.
- Good knowledge of ECOWAS Financial, Administrative and Procurement Regulations and Procedures;
- Demonstrated ability to use basic SAP/ECM HCM modules to carry out human resource functions, to include basic data entry, extraction and interpretation
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
ECOWAS Key Competencies:
- Ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- Ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information and resources;
- Ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and the subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance.
- Contribute to maintaining organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.
- Interpersonal skills with the ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- Ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
- Ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigates issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- Ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards;
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an unbias and transparent manner.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS internal operational requirements of programs, projects, services and systems required to achieve work assignments and meet performance goals;
- Knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS culture, structures and performance issues and priorities impacting assigned responsibilities;
- Knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- Ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals;
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees.
- Demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- Ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means, ;
- Exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- Identify, organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution;
- Ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks;
- Ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.
UA42, 930.42 US67, 735.62
Application Closing Date
7th February, 2021.