The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: IT Officer
Requisition ID: req11200
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Sector: Information Technology
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
- The IT Department supports the organization’s work by providing reliable and scalable applications and infrastructure of the IRC’s offices in the US and around the world, including many technologically challenging locations. An integral component of this effort is ensuring that Country Programs have the capacity to implement and support these IT initiatives effectively across the country offices and in the field sites.
- Reporting to the IT Manager the IT Officer will provide desktop support services to end users and be in charge of the office Network infrastructure configuration and management and Server system administration in the office under his purview. This also includes computers and end users applications installations, mobile devices configurations, installation and configuration of network printers and other computers peripherals and all aspects local domain Active Directory management.
- A key aspect of this role is ensuring all technology implementations in-country conforms to the global IT policies and procedures hence working closely with Country IT and Regional IT lead is vital.
- Position Holder serves as focal person for IRC IT operations in the deep field sites of Monguno and Gwoza as well as any new deep field office in Borno State, while seating at and also supporting the Maiduguri office.
- Work in collaboration with the Country and Regional IT lead to ensure that end users computers are setup and configured with the IRC standard Operating system and applications versions (IRC image).
- Ensure that computers peripherals such as scanners, printers, monitors, mouse and others are configured and properly working for all field staff members.
- Provide assistance to end users for the configuration and troubleshooting of Microsoft suite products such as Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Deploy Local Area network infrastructure following applicable IRC Standard regarding cabling, WIFI and other active network equipment
- Work with the Country/Regional IT Lead, the IRC Network Operations Center (NOC) and Internet Service provider to ensure that offices are connected to Internet at all times and that all users are connected to the LAN and have access to Internet.
- Maintain up to date IT documentation reflecting current computers assets status and network configurations.
- Work with the Country/Regional IT Lead and the IRC Network Operations Center (NOC) to deploy and maintain Servers and Country level Active Directory and domain services, including management of AD computers and users’ accounts, DNS, DHCP, centralized computers updating and patching and GPO management.
- Work with field office IT staff and Field Coordinators to ensure timely delivery of IT project activities and resolution of IT issues
- Ensure timely equipment maintenance, upgrade and replacement as well as management of ISP contracts and software maintenance agreements
- Observe and uphold the IRC IT Acceptable Use Policy.
- Act as the IT focal point for the rolling out of specific tasks as requested by the Country and/or Regional IT lead.
- Perform other duties as directed by the lead operations coordinator.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: IT Manager/Coordinator.
- Position directly supervises: IT Assistant if applicable
- Indirectly Reports: IT Coordinator if applicable
- Indirectly supervises: IT Assistant if applicable
- Other internal and/or external contacts:
- Program Coordinators, Finance Controller, HR & Supply Chain Coordinators, Field Coordinators
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering and/or equivalent in relevant field
Technical Skills & Experience:
- At least 3 years’ experience in IT Service Management
- Strong troubleshooting skills, with the ability to effectively convey technical troubleshooting results to IT peers for seamless issue resolution
- Experience in desktop and laptop installation and maintenance
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Operating systems and Applications suite installation and troubleshooting
- Proficiency with client-server environment using Microsoft Server 2008/2016 implementing Active Directory, DNS, DHCP and group policy objects
- Familiarity in server and endpoint updating and patching methodologies
- Good technical writing/documentation skills
Soft Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to work harmoniously with other staff members in cross cultural contexts.
- Good verbal communication and report-writing skills with the ability to convey information effectively in Country official language – English would be nice to have as an additional working language.
- Customer & client centered and service oriented mind & attitude, and ability to work under pressure and diligently carry out instructions.
- Proven sense of professional discretion, integrity, and ability to manage situations diplomatically and to effective resolution.
- Excellent English and other major Country languages communication skills including speaking, listening and writing. Knowledge of Hausa will be an added advantage
- Good proficiency in supporting industry standard IT infrastructure and applications
Certificates or Licenses:
- A+, ITIL or similar certifications preferred
Ability to Travel:
- 30 % of time if applicable
Standards of Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
- IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Application Closing Date