The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Laboratory Technologist
SVN No.: CFCV2020.87
Organizational Unit: COVID-19 Isolation and Treatment Centre
IOM Classification: Hourly
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term Hourly Contract (On Call)
Estimated Start Date: As Soon as Possible
- Under the administrative supervision of the Manager for COVID-19 Isolation and Treatment Centre and under the technical supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor, the incumbent will be responsible for technical and operation support to laboratory services with respect to COVID-19 testing in Abuja, Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Perform laboratory procedures as assigned by the supervisor for pre-examination, examination and post-examination activities through the use of the standard relevant equipment.
- Ensure standards and the quality of laboratory procedures by strictly following the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Adhere to biosafety measures adopted in the laboratory, minding the safety of oneself and others.
- Organize and operate activities on assigned station for accurate, efficient and timely delivery of results.
- Perform quality control activities for assigned stations and document results as required.
- Facilitate in maintenance of laboratory equipment in good working order and operate equipment appropriately following SOPs.
- Facilitate in laboratory stock management and monitor that the equipment and consumables are sufficient for the anticipated work.
- Facilitate to maintenance of established system of organized record keeping and information management for timely delivery of results, data collection, analysis and reporting for laboratory monitoring and facilitation to operational research.
- Participate in the development and updating of SOPs as needed.
- Participate in the improvement of the service system according to adopted work plan in the laboratory.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Completed Bachelor’s degree or Diploma from an accredited academic institution in Medical (Clinical) Laboratory Sciences, Microbiology, or a related discipline.
- At least two years of relevant laboratory experience in a busy institution, preferably in a laboratory.
- Relevant technical knowledge and practices to personnel and laboratory operations.
- Good awareness of the laboratory role in health systems, optimal use of resources for quality and efficient services delivery.
- Computer literate with understanding of accurate data collection and analysis for monitoring and continuous improvement of laboratory services and performance; and,
- Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in multiple languages advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
17th December, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.
Click here for more information (PDF)
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2020.87. Abuja Laboratory Technologist.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.