The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014 the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations. IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri and Monguno of Borno state and Damatru of Yobe State. Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, economic recovery and development.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Livelihoods Assistant
Requisition ID: req11016
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Regular
Sector: Emergency Response
Job Overview / Summary
- The Livelihood Assistant will support the field implementation of the Urban Livelihood project Borno State.
- He / she will support in conducting relevant assessments such as market assessments, baselines, end line and post distribution monitoring.
- The Livelihood assistant will directly facilitate the implementation of the business training, employability training, apprenticeship activity and local stakeholder collaboration activities.
- Provide close supervision and monitoring to the livelihood assistants in implementing project related activities in the field.
- Responsible for the selection and verification of beneficiaries in coordination with community committee and authorities and the use of selection criteria.
- Actively engage and support in community sensitization activities on selection criteria and stakeholder feedback process.
- Implement weekly program and monitoring plans.
- Provide information to beneficiaries, community stakeholders, trainers, employers in accordance with IRC policies and procedures and retrieve feedback.
- Coordinate with trainers on the schedule of business training and ensure that logistics and venue for beneficiary training is organized.
- Execute stakeholder and community engagement meetings to engage community stakeholders and feedback.
- Conduct field visits to project sites and meet with community leaders to select specific vulnerable locations for targeting and ensure a conducive community mobilization system.
- Provide inputs for the production of technical support materials and guide program teams on the delivery of mechanisms that will ensure effective implementation of livelihoods interventions as well as early recovery.
Monitoring & Evaluation and Reporting:
- Support in conducting community mapping assessments or labour market assessment in the targeted communities
- Conduct post-distribution monitoring
- Under the supervision of Program Manager conduct baseline and end-line surveys
- Carryout spot checks and appraisals of employers
- Submit daily activity updates and produce timely weekly and monthly reports
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Livelihoods Officer
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Economics or any relevant field
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience in providing implementing livelihoods programing
- Experience working with INGO / NGO in Borno state
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Technical skills in cash and livelihoods programming
- Strong training and facilitation skills
- Experience in community and stakeholders relationship building and management.
- Fluency in English Language both written and spoken is required and Hausa language is mandatory
Computer / Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law
Standards for Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Application Closing Date