The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Logistics Officer
Job Identification: 816
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Project number: NGFP0000
Job Category: Logistics
Job Schedule: Full time
Reports to: Logistics Coordinator
Duration and type of contract: 1 Year (renewable)
Role and Responsibilities
- The Logistics Officer is responsible for managing CO Procurements, vehicle fleet, assets and warehouses, to ensure effective, transparent and accountable logistic support to the Norwegian Refugee Council programs in NRC Nigeria.
- Liaison with program teams to ensure adequate logistical consideration for coordination and planning of program implementation. Provide technical support and guidance to program teams on logistical elements of distribution & procurement planning.
Generic Responsibilities (max 10):
- These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated support function portfolio according to the plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Process procurements within the CO threshold as per approved guidelines, procedures and forms (Purchase Requests, Purchase Orders, Goods Received Notes, Service Completion form etc.)
- Check the availability and prices of requested items in the local market; liaise with country office if procurement must be conducted there or at area office level
- Prepare a weekly summary of all outstanding purchase requisitions, showing the current status of the items and the date which they are expected to be supplied to the projects
- Prepare monthly summary reports for all procurements identifying problems in operations and solutions proposed
- Oversee all arrangements for meetings and conferences as required ensuring these are delivered to a high quality and cost-effectively
- Updates and Manages the Procurement tracker
- Updates and manages the contract tracker Ensure that all procurements are done in accordance with NRC logistics policies, procedures and donor regulations
- Check and receive purchase requisitions and initiate the procurement process according to NRC procurement regulations.
- Ensure RFQs, are prepare and send out within the agreed lead time
- Complete and issue purchase orders in accordance with NRC regulations.
- Check procurement documents (Bid analysis, Purchase orders and Payment documents etc…) and submit to signatories for verifications and approvals.
- Check payment documents as per procurement checklist before submission to finance
- Follow up with supplies and organize for delivery of materials.
- Conduct regular market surveys to identify suitable and reliable suppliers and service providers
- Maintain updated vendor database at area level
- Update and share the procurement tracker on a regular basis
- Submit invoices from suppliers and the relevant procurement documents to finance
- Managing and tracking of all vehicles on the fleet, when required to support the area offices
- Ensure that vehicles are checked on a daily basis and that regular service and maintenance are carried out as per agreed schedule as well as managing service agreements such as vehicles fueling.
- Ensure vehicles have current and lawful documentation.
- Receive travel requests, and maintain trip schedules and Staff Movement Board.
- Prepare Military Clearances for the delivery of goods to field locations as requested.
- Produce logistics site report, vehicle and generator cost performance report.
- Ensure proper usage and Maintenance of the Area Office Generator by keeping an up to date Generator Logbook for usage and services.
- Maintaining up-to-date control of all assets including tracking donor, value, and location, managing staff issue, and recording all asset movements and disposals
- Oversee the issuance and return of assets to / from staff in the absence of assets focal person
- Update Asset Register and send to the country office every month in the absence of the assets focal person
- Will only provide a supportive role in the absence of area warehouse staff:
- Manage and maintain the physical warehouse.
- Ensure quarterly stock check and reconciliation.
- Ensure random spot check on the stock in the warehouse
- Ensure all program stock are released through NRC Stock release / requisition form and accompanied with a waybill to Beneficiaries / point of usage.
- Ensure the BHs and the Country Office Logistics Manager are informed about all stock under expired, expiring SOF and other irregularities or discrepancy in the warehouse respectively.
- By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments / units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Coordination for the movement of materials – Program Managers and Field Coordinators
- Coordination of Field office operations and requirements – Area Manager
- Logistics Technical support for Field Offices – Logistics Manager
- Implementation – Logistics Coordinator, Field Logistics Assistants
- Follow up of procurement of requested procurement – Procurement Officer
- Follow up of Admin related Field issues, especially maintenance and repairs of facilities – HR Coordinator / Admin Officer
Work in close collaboration with the finance and administration departments to ensure effective operations and strong team spirit
Scale and scope of the position
- Key external stakeholders the post has relationships with – UN agencies (Logistics Cluster), INGOs, local NGOs, governmental bodies: Military for clearance
- Brief description of the information resources the post holder is responsible for at CO level: Aggressor Procurement, Aggressor Assets, Intranet- Logistics Handbook and Donor/NRC policies and procedures
Legal or Compliance:
- Brief description of any legal or compliance responsibility the post holder has – employment, vendors / Contractors, Code of conduct, Anti-corruption Policy
- Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
- These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic Professional Competencies:
- Experience from working as a Logistics Officer in a humanitarian / recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English and Hausa
Context / Specific Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Office organization skills,
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Good communication skills
- High degree of accuracy
Behavioural Competencies (max 6):
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies, and the following are essential for this position:
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The Work and Development Plan
- The Mid-term / End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template
- The End-term Performance Review Template
- The NRC Competency Framework
Attitudes and Beliefs:
- All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
Application Closing Date
18th February, 2021 by 11:30 AM