Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) / Accountability Assistant
Job No.: 210000O2
Location: Lokoja, Kogi
Post Type: National
Employee Status: Permanent
Level 3: The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- The MEAL Assistant will be a part of the MEAL team. He/she will assist the MEAL team with activities, including data collection, coordination with operations; assisting with planning field visits and assessments.
- S/he will support in gathering feedback and complaints from affected populations with different accountability mechanisms (e.g. focus group discussions, child participatory activities, post distribution monitoring).
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: MEAL Manager
- Dimensions: Field office based position with at least 80% field visit.
- Functional relationship: Closely work with Sectoral MEAL and Accountability team and relevant programme staff
- Staff directly reporting to this post: none
Key Areas of Accountability:
Monitoring and Accountability:
- Assist in programme updates for programme management and internal information sharing
- Assist with data collection processes as necessary
- Conduct field monitoring visits (including the use of the quality benchmarks/ monitoring checklist) and facilitating focus group discussions
- Assist with implementation of programme evaluations (data collection)
- Support MEAL in conducting assessments as needed
- Responsible for handling, documenting, confidentiality and security of all informational resources related to feedback and complaints from beneficiaries
- Support Complaints and Feedback Mechanism, including communicating responses to complainants; liaise with programmes and operations to ensure prompt follow-up on feedback and complaints received
- Assist in raising PRs and planning trainings for enumerators
- Any other duties as assigned.
Documentation and Dissemination:
- Contribute to preparing weekly, monthly and quarterly reports on MEAL
- Prepare field visit reports and do debriefing and action planning with relevant staff
- To conduct quality monitoring of programme activities, measured against international standards and using participatory methodologies (including child-friendly methodologies) and quality benchmarks
- Coordinate and communicate with MEAL and relevant programme staff regarding feedback and complaints
- Maintain liaison with MEAL unit and programme particularly field coordination/community mobilization team.
Skills & Experience
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Listening skills
- Problem analysis and problem-solving
- Proficient in relevant computer applications
- Ability to work in a team with flexibility to undertake challenging task and adapt to different working conditions.
- Good spoken, reading and writing skills in English with the ability to produce quality reports
- Have experience and/or knowledge about working with children on research issues and is aware of the local legal and child protection systems.
- Ability to work as part of a team, flexible, adaptable, and patient
- Ability to work under pressure often to strict deadlines
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin and data management systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
11th February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online