Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Officer
Job Code: 210001TO
Team: Programme Operations
Contract Length: Fixed Term
- Level 3 – The responsibilities of this post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children and young people. In the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3.
- As part of these responsibilities the post holder will support the establishment of child safeguarding systems, promote a culture of keeping children safe, and ensure that potential harm to children (by our own staff and/or as a result of how we do our work) is identified and addressed on an ongoing basis. The post holder should report and respond to interventions as determined by position related responsibilities identified in the Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Support to the implementation and monitoring of nutrition activities in the Integrated Health and Nutrition Project in the State including a special focus on behaviour change communications for improved nutrition practices among Adolescents/Adolescent mothers and ensuring target beneficiaries of the project receive nutrition services.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: State Team Lead
- Staff directly reporting to this post: None
- Support assessment, preparation and planning for implementation, working in partnership with State and LGA authorities.
- Lead on the implementation of the nutrition interventions for the programme, ensuring technical resources required have been factored into work-plans and budgets.
- Contribute to developing/modifying programme design in nutrition based on experience and lessons from implementation, also in consultation with the programme team and other stakeholders.
- Ensure programme approaches and implementation are sensitive to cultural and gender dynamics.
- Provide technical assistance to State and LGA teams on health and nutrition, with a particular focus on development of effective methodologies to improve health and nutrition knowledge, attitudes and practices.
- Conduct follow up monitoring of nutrition-related activities and document findings to feed into improved programming
- Support strengthening of information flow between State and LGA.
- Contribute to the development and/or adaptation of training materials.
- Facilitate on nutrition trainings in project locations.
- Lead on nutrition training needs assessment for HWs, CVs and programme staff.
- Develop training plans for staff, government officials, health workers and CVs based on identified needs.
Documentation and Reporting:
- Ensure timely collection, compilation and analysis of quality data as well as production of quantitative and qualitative reports regarding nutrition activities in the Programme.
- Provide technical review of programme reports in line with the M&E framework.
- Ensure regular communication and sharing of lesson learned and challenges with the management and partners to inform implementation
- Work closely with the MEAL team to ensure that data are captured in a correct and accurate manner.
Representation & Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
- Represent SCI in relevant State level forums for nutrition in coordination with other SCI programmes.
- Contribute to communications and media work as required through correction of data and information and sharing with the project heads
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Skills And Behaviours (Our Values In Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin and value for money systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Qualifications & Experience
- Health / Public Health / Nutrition or equivalent with minimum of 4 years progressive experience post NYSC
- Experience in Nutrition and community based programming
- Technical expertise and experience on behaviour change programming
- Proven capacity of management, leadership and teamwork
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness to be respectful, kind, sensitive and empathise with all beneficiaries and their carers
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions
- Experience in community based interventions in Northern Nigeria
- Demonstrable ability at report writing
- Fluency in written and spoken English and local languages in Adamawa State
- Computer literate
- Prepared to live and work in an uncertain security environment
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles
- Master trainer and good facilitator
Application Closing Date
29th March, 2021.