Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Office Assistant
Reference No.: 210000OZ
Location: Lokoja, Kogi
Post Type: Fixed
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Reports to: Direct report to Field Manager with Dotted Line to CO Admin Manager
Dimensions: Save the Children works in over eight states in Nigeria
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Budget responsibility: None
Level 3 – The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- To provide professional general administrative support, including facilities management (office cleaning inclusive), inventory management, front desk duties and document/information management.
- The job holder will also from time to time, be delegated other support duties including, but not limited to providing administrative support to programme teams based in Lokoja (taking notes of meetings, filing, liaising with key programme contacts etc).
Key Areas Of Accountability:
General Office Support:
- Locking and opening of main office doors at the beginning and closing of the day. This includes opening and closing of the main office and other annex building as applicable.
- Assist with payment of utility bills in the office and warehouse.
- The job holder will also check every office room to ensure electrical appliances and lights have been switched-off as appropriate.
- Keep custody of office supplies and stationaries
Cleaning of Office Premise and Warehouses:
- Clean building floors by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, or vacuuming them.
- Gather and empty trash.
- Service, clean, and supply restrooms.
- Clean and polish furniture and fixtures.
- Clean windows, glass partitions, and mirrors, using soapy water or other cleaners, sponges, and squeegees.
- Dust furniture, walls, machines, and equipment.
- Mix water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications, in order to prevent damage to floors and fixtures. .
- Steam-clean or shampoo carpets.
- Strip, seal, finish, and polish floors.
- Clean and restore building interiors damaged by fire, smoke, or water, using commercial cleaning equipment.
- Replenish toilet tissue and soap as needed
- Move heavy furniture, equipment, and supplies, either manually or by using hand trucks.
- Mow and trim lawns and shrubbery, using mowers and hand and power trimmers, and clear debris from grounds.
- Requisition supplies and equipment needed for cleaning and maintenance duties.
- Set up, arrange, and remove decorations, tables, chairs, ladders, and scaffolding to prepare facilities for events such as banquets and meetings.
- Spray insecticides and fumigants to prevent insect and rodent infestation.
Equipment Repairs and Maintenance:
- Identify and notify field manager concerning the need for repairs
- The post holder may carry out other duties in addition to, or instead of those outlined above which may reasonably be required from time to time, in order to assist Support Services department by providing cover when any of the program/Support staff is on leave or because of increased level of field Office activities.
These include but are not limited to the following:
- Support with some purchases for office
- Photocopy and Filing of documents for easy access
- Daily tracking of payment with finance and escalate any issue with line manager to ensure that payment of vendors are not delayed
- Tracking of repairs/utility expenses for field office
- Ensure lease agreement are dispatched to landlord/agents on time
- Support with Child Safeguarding Risk assessment for SCI facility
- Accompany staff to inspect new properties for new staff
- Raise request for new property Identification
- The line manager is copied on all official communication
- Perform other duties assigned by the Field Manager or Country Office Admin Manager.
- Internal: Regular liaison with various teams in Abuja and other state offices on ANRiN project
- External: Contact with visitors, hotels, airlines/travel agents, vendors etc
Skills & Experience
Administrative & General Skills:
- Level of Education – Senior Secondary Leaving Certificate (SSCE) in relevant field
- Minimum of 1 years in a similar role preferably within the NGO sector
- Ability to learn and work in a fast paced work environment
- Excellent planning and organisational skills, with proven administrative skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities effectively in a constantly changing environment, meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure
- Strong coordination and time management skills
- A knowledge of office practices, procedures and administrative systems including filing systems
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong teamwork skills with the ability to both support colleagues and request support as and when required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, fluent in English
- Ability to draft well-written, professionally presented documents
- Commitment to Save the Children mission, vision and values
- Computer literate and knowledge of Word, Excel.
Competences and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Leading and inspiring others – Delivering results – Developing self and others – Problem solving and decision making – Innovating and adapting
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice):
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Application Closing Date
15th February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online