The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Operations Manager, NOC
Job ID: 38131
Practice Area – Job Family: Peace Building – OPERATIONS
Vacancy Type FTA Local
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- Under the guidance of DRR/ Operations, the Operations Manager acts as an advisor to DRR O on all aspects of CO management and operations. This includes strategic financial and human resources management, efficient procurement and logistical services, ICT and common services consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
- The main role is to lead the operations, ensuring smooth functioning of the CO/programmes/ projects operations, consistent services delivery and constant evaluation and readjustment of the operations to take into account changes in the operating environment as and when needed.
- The Operations Manager leads and guides the Country Office (CO) Operations Team and fosters collaboration within the team, with programme staff and with other UN Agencies and a client-oriented approach. The Operations Manager works in close collaboration with programme and project teams in the CO, operations staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials to successfully deliver operations services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring strategic direction of operations
- Financial resources management and supervision of the Finance team
- Human Resources Management and supervision of the HR team
- Efficient procurement and logistical services and supervision of the Procurement team
- Information and communication management and supervision of ICT team
- Common services organization and management, establishment of partnerships with other UN Agencies
As a member of the CO management team, ensures the strategic direction of operations focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of operations with UN/UNDP rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets and monitoring of achievement of results.
- Establishment of collaborate arrangements with potential partners, a Client relationship Management system for resource mobilization purposes and appropriate operational partnership arrangements.
- CO business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Finance, Human Resources Management, Procurement, Logistical and ICT services in line with the current Clustering services;
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the operating environment, timely readjustment of the operations, advice on legal considerations and risk assessment.
- Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the CO, organization of the operations staff trainings, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to UNDP knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Ensures effective and accurate financial resources management and supervision of
the Finance team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources, including extra-budgetary income in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Proper management of the contributions management business process and accounting for contributions to ensure that the money due to UNDP is properly identified, consistently and uniformly classified, recorded on a timely basis and received with sufficient supporting documentation.
- Performance of Manager Level 2 role in Atlas for request for voucher creations/payments and Treasury transactions approvals, bank reconciliation. Approval of pending request for disbursements as the “third authority” (cheques, bank transfers, EFT).
- Organization of cost-recovery mechanisms for CO services provided to projects and UN Agencies, including ensuring preparation of proforma invoices for UN agencies.
- Organization and oversight of CO cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommendation of imprest level, risk assessment, bank relationship management; timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site.
- Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions. Provision of information to supervisors and other UNDP staff at HQ of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
- Member of bank signatory panel.
- Transaction and stop payment approval on internet banking system.
- All financial transactions are identified, recorded and verified in compliance with IPSAS as outlined in the corporate policies and procedures.
Ensures strategic human resources management and supervision of the HR team
focusing on achievement of the following results:
- CO compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies.
- Optimal staffing of the office and projects.
- Oversight of recruitment processes in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, appropriate use of different contractual modalities, contracts management, OM performing the function of HR Manager in Atlas.
- Establishment and maintenance of the proper performance management and staff development systems. Implementation of the Universal Access strategy on learning ensuring access of the staff to role appropriate learning activities.
Ensures provision of efficient procurement and logistical services and supervision
of the Procurement team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- CO compliance with corporate rules and regulations in the field and elaboration of the CO procurement strategies including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement promotion and introduction, performance measurement.
- Elaboration of the CO contract strategy including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal implications. Oversight of procurement processes and logistical services in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, OM acting as Manager Level 2 in Atlas for Purchase orders approvals.
- Proper management of UNDP assets, facilities and logistical services, including full compliance with IPSAS in the accounting for the procurement, utilization and disposal of the CO’s assets.
Ensures forward-looking information and communication management and
supervision of ICT team focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Use of Atlas functionality for improved business results and improved client services.
- Identification of opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency and full accountability.
- Maintenance of a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequate planning for disasters and recoveries.
- Identification and promotion of different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge sharing, information provision and learning including e-registry, web-based office management system, etc.
Ensures proper common services organization and management, establishment of
partnerships with other UN Agencies focusing on achievement of the followingresults:
- Establishment of common services, maintenance of coordinating machinery to ensure integrated activities on common services and implementation of the UN reform.
- Elaboration of the strategic approach for implementation of common services in line with the latest developments in common services and the best practices.
- Proper planning and tracking of common services budget and of Agencies contributions to the common services account.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the overall economy, efficiency, and effectiveness of CO operations as it relates to the use of corporate resources in the following areas:
- Financial services
- Human Resources
- Procurement and logistical services
- Common Services and the implementation of the UN agenda on common services and joint procurement.
- Building Partnerships
- Identifying and building partnerships
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build alliances
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Displays initiative, sets challenging outputs for him/herself and willingly accepts new work assignments
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Developing tools and mechanisms
- Participates in the development of mechanisms, including identifying new approaches to promote individual and organizational learning and knowledge sharing using formal and informal methodologies
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
In-depth knowledge of own discipline
- Understands advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines (financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, general administration)
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Continually looking for ways to enhance financial performance in the office
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Assisting the individuals to cope with change:
- Performs appropriate work analysis and assists in redesign to establish clear standards for implementation
- Design And Implementation of Management Systems
- Designing and implementing management system
- Makes recommendations regarding operation of systems within organizational units
- Identifies and recommends remedial measures to address problems in systems design or implementation
Contributing to positive outcomes for the client:
- Anticipates client needs
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality
- Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Input to the development of standards and policies
- Provides inputs to the development of organizational standards for accountability.
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
UNDP Certification programmes Prince2, Procurement, HR, Accounting and Finance**
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP systems, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Experience of accrual accounting, IPSAS or IFRS is highly desirable.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
Application Closing Date
6th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement.
- We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.