The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Program Officer, System Management and Planning
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Directorate: Early Warning
Department: Office of the Vice President
Division: System Management and Planning
Line Supervisor: Director, Early Warning
- Under the supervision of the Director, Early Warning, the incumbent shall oversee the administrative and technical functions of the Early Warning System. The nature of Early Warning requires a comprehensive understanding of both human and nature induced crises/conflict and forms the basis of the multidisciplinary tasking of the profile.
- PO System Administrator
- PO GIS and Mapping Expert.
Role and Responsibilities
- Design of the early Warning System and ensures its daily functionality and maintenance, which includes all components; i.e. equipment, hardware, software, databases and users throughout the network;
- Conceptualize, designing and planning early warning strategies and methodologies;
- Organize work across the network (Headquarters, National Mechanisms, Continental early Warning System);
- Support and develop capacities of other divisions of the directorate;
- Estimating and Allocating resources;
- Ensure effective and efficient tracking and reporting progress;
- Analyze results based on the facts achieved;
- Forecast future trends in IT and geo-information related acquisitions;
- Maintain cooperation with key individuals and organizations (UN, AU, Regional Communities, Civil Society, development partners) concerned with the use of Early Warning System;
- Ensure Quality management in line with International best practices;
- Perform any other task as assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Project Management, Economics, Geo-Information Systems, Information Technology, Environmental Science, Social Science or a similar field from a recognized University;
- 10 years of progressively responsible experience in security, disarmament, conflict resolution, as well as 2 years relevant international work and 2 years at a supervisory level;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS Conflict Analysis Framework and policies guidelines of the Protocol relating to the mechanism for Conflict Prevention, Management Resolution, Peacekeeping & Security and the 20001 Supplementary Protocol on Good Governance;
- Demonstrated expertise in implementation of an early warning system with a gender perspective including the management of a network on early warning;
- Experience in the planning and management of Crisis related Information systems and programmes, including at least five years working familiarity with geospatial Information technologies and applications;
- Familiarity with national, regional and international conventions/other legal tools and policies.
- Ability to maintain cooperation with key organizations concerned with the use of Early Warning System and evaluate international situations and other human security, particularly on public health, agriculture and environment issues, within the West African region.
- Demonstrated familiarity with ECOWAS programmes, initiatives, rules and regulations and ability to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Demonstrated experience in network development and knowledge management;
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation processes;
- Proven knowledge of the regional sectoral development issues.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies
- Ability to lead in assigned programmes and projects by providing the necessary managerial and operational expertise required for the fulfillment of the organization’s mandate;
- Ability to lead by example and organize teamwork to encourage cooperation to achieve targeted results, champion and build momentum for change and to bring about employee engagement; develops and implements internal controls for pilot program to manage potential barriers to implementation;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Excellent self-management skills, demonstrating ethics and integrity, confidentiality and displaying due regards for internal controls of rules, delegations and transparency;
- Ability to bring together complementary skills/expertise, assess individual contributions and recognize/address accomplishments and shortcomings in a manner that brings continued success to the organization;
- Knowledge of program management at the level usually acquired from a certification in program management.
- Ability to research benchmarks and trends to bring about the best recommendations for the development and improvement of programs/projects that will best serve the community/organization;
- Well-developed networking and interpersonal skills to seek feedback, information and data from a network of professionals from multiple countries/sectors/organizations and to identify and prioritize the most critical community requirements;
- Ability to manage and co-ordinate client management initiatives and make recommendations;
- Ability to develop and implement best practices in client services;
- Ability to develop and implement stakeholder management plans, programs and initiatives to obtain buy-in on new initiatives, to better understand dissenting views, to obtain resources and to increase perceptions of success.
- Ability to be diplomatic, tactful and respect of other people from varied backgrounds, understanding diverse cultural views especially within West Africa with the ability to convert diversity into opportunities to improve program/operational outcomes;
- Ability to create a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths bringing together innovative practices;
- Ability to remain objective in managing conflict regardless of cultural differences /positions, gender differences, and encourage other staff to overcome cultural and gender bias and differences;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to serve the interest of culturally diverse multinational teams/organizations/communities and persons with disability without prejudice and bias.
- Understanding of the ECOWAS organizational structure, associated dynamics and expectations as required to collaborate, participate, contribute and lead effectively;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS mandate, strategic plan/priorities as well as the economic, political and social situation and trends in member states, as pertains to own scope of work;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS best practices, program management approaches and research techniques to lead and/or contribute to the development or assessment of programs, projects or initiatives;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS rules and procedures in order to appropriately interpret and apply directive text, provide technical advice, coach others and assess performance.
- Ability to analyze a situation by using indicators to assess the costs, benefits, risks, and chances for success, in making decisions;
- Ability to pull together information from different sources to identify the cause of problems, consequences of alternative causes of action, potential obstacles and ways to avoid the problem in the future;
- Ability to break down very complex situations/information into simple terms to explain recommendations and conclusions aimed at solving problems or improving operations/programs/projects;
- Ability to develop new insights into situations, apply innovative solutions to problems and to design new methods of addressing issues or disconnects where established methods and procedures are inapplicable or no longer effective.
- Ability to communicate with impact, clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner conveying credibility & confidence when making presentations, setting expectations and explaining complex issues;
- Ability to listen intently and correctly interpret messages from others and respond appropriately;
- Accomplished technical writing and editing skills;
- Exhibit active listening skills to encourage stronger communication amongst team members, to show care and make them feel valued and to drive employee engagement in all institutions and agencies;
- Ability to give constructive feedback, provide recognition, address shortcomings and motivate direct reports to work at peak performance;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Organizational and project/program management skills with significant experience identifying timelines, targets, costs and resources necessary to deliver on operational/program/project outputs in line with result based management approach;
- Ability to set effective goals and targets for self, others, and the work unit and adjusting work or project priorities in response to changing circumstances;
- Ability to use participatory approach in project planning and identify gaps affecting the achievement of program/project expectations and to design and implement intervention plans required to build the desired task;
- Ability to implement rigorous monitoring and evaluation practices and to set in place regular reporting schedules relevant to key outputs;
- Ability to plan, organize, control resources, and to comply with policies, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
UA66, 123.98, USD104, 330.42
Application Closing Date
10th November, 2020.