Economic Community of West African States, which is known as ECOWAS, is a regional political and economic group of fifteen countries in West Africa. ECOWAS was founded in the year 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Programme Officer – Competition and Economic Research Analysis
Location: Banjul,The Gambia
Institution: Ecowas Commission
Division: Competition Economic Research Analysis
Line Supervisor: Director Operations
Supervising: Officer Research & Markets
- The incumbent is responsible for undertaking analysis and diagnostics of sector or industry-level market competition constraints, through competition rapid assessment tools and standard competition indicators; recommending and implementing management decisions on Competition and Economic Research Analysis.
- He/she will lead a team in conducting economic research, case analysis and competition policy development; ensuring the application of sound economic principles in all work performed.
Role and Responsibilities
- Undertake analysis and diagnostics of sector or industry-level market competition constraints, through competition rapid assessment tools and standard competition indicators and the application of quantitative and qualitative analytical tools to evaluate competition issues in the region;
- Unearth challenges facing competition in ECOWAS Member States and propose activities or initiatives to address them;
- Design action/reform plans and technical assistance programs on competition policy, leading to increased competition based on feasibility analysis (prioritization and sequence) of reforms, such as the elimination/removal of: (i) regulations that restrict the number of firms or ban private investment, (ii) controls on prices and other market variables, (iii) rules that discriminate against certain firms and distort the level playing field;
- Implement pro-competition market regulations and relevant programs and initiatives, including technical assistance on competition policy, through technical advice, policy dialogue and support to client countries;
- Mainstream the principles of competition policy within ECOWAS’ private sector programs and investments to allow for efficient entry and avoid distortions to the playing field;
- Facilitate the development of monitoring and evaluation indicators for competition interventions as well as analyse the impact of competition policy interventions.
- Advise regional and sectoral colleagues on the competition dimension of their reform programs and ensuring competition issues are adequately captured by the product-specific M&E systems.
- Support and manage projects with competition policy components, with a focus on removing sector-specific constraints to the development of competition in sectors concerned (e.g. agribusiness, infrastructure, finance);
- Undertake knowledge generation and dissemination of best practice on competition policies across countries and regions, including indicators and statistics on the status of competition at economy and industry level;
- Develop collaborative partnerships with external partners involved in promoting competition in the region and contribute to a coherent strategy across teams for the benefit of the region;
- Facilitate policy dialogue amongst national stakeholders (private and public) as well as authorities (regulatory institution) in view of promoting effective competition amongst operators;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of internal controls, guidelines, policies and procedures for Research and ensure they are in line with the strategic objectives and relevant statutory requirements and best practice;
- Identify research activities and priorities relevant to the development of policy which will support the objectives of the Authority and provide leadership to research teams, including guidance on methodology, data analysis and timelines in accordance with best practice;
- Contribute to the management of external research projects, including the development of terms of reference, evaluating reports and making recommendations;
- Assess effectiveness of Investigation plans compiled for cases/projects focused on economic analysis; approving method and approach, as appropriate;
- Guide the research process from the conceptualization of the case/project through the gathering of information, and its analysis and write-up;
- Undertake studies at a sectorial/industry level of company behavior/market structure, providing an effective analysis to support or dismiss complaints received.
- Provide support to external experts in post referral cases, analyzing the integrity of the conclusions reached from an economic perspective.
- Interpret statutes and economic concepts, providing guidance to the team;
- Perform any other relevant duties assigned by the Supervisor
Academic Qualification And Experience
- Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in Economics, Social Sciences, Business, Administration, International Relations, International Diplomacy, Public Administration, Sociology, History, Law or Political Science from a recognized University
- 10 years progressively responsible experience in the area of regional integration, trade, infrastructure and natural resources management as well as programme development and management with 5 years at a supervisory level;
- Demonstrated knowledge of international trade policies and programmes, trade promotion and marketing techniques, issues relating to external trade, external trade regulation and techniques and modern techniques for promoting trade;
- Demonstrated knowledge of economic analysis, diagnostics of sector or industry-level market competition rapid assessment tools and standard competition indicators and the application of quantitative and qualitative analytical tools.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
ECOWAS Key Competencies
- Ability to lead in assigned programmes and projects by providing the necessary managerial and operational expertise required for the fulfillment of the organization’s mandate (e.g. establish networks, benchmarks);
- Ability to lead by example and organize teamwork to encourage cooperation to achieve targeted results, champion and build momentum for change and to bring about employee engagement; develops and implements internal controls for pilot program to manage potential barriers to implementation;
- Excellent self-management skills, demonstrating ethics and integrity and displaying due regards for internal controls of rules, delegations and transparency;
- Ability to bring together complementary skills/expertise, assess individual contributions and recognize/address accomplishments and shortcomings in a manner that brings continued success to the organization;
- Knowledge of program management at the level usually acquired from a certification in program management (e.g. Managing Successful Programmes (MSP) or Program Management Professional PgMP).
- Ability to research benchmarks and trends to bring about the best recommendations for the development and improvement of programs/projects that will best serve the community/organization;
- Well-developed networking and interpersonal skills to seek feedback, information and data from a network of professionals from multiple countries/sectors/organizations and to identify and prioritize the most critical community requirements;
- Ability to manage and co-ordinate client management initiatives (e.g. feedback loops, surveys, studies, needs assessments) and make recommendations;
- Develop and implement best practices in client services (e.g. dashboards, incentive management, feedback mechanisms);
- Ability to develop and implement stakeholder management plans, programs and initiatives to obtain buy-in on new initiatives, to better understand dissenting views, to obtain resources and to increase perceptions of success.
- Diplomacy, tact and respect of other people from varied backgrounds, understanding diverse cultural views especially within west Africa with the ability to convert diversity into opportunities to improve program/operational outcomes;
- To create a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths bringing together innovative practices;
- Ability to remain objective in appraisals, evaluations and in managing conflict regardless of cultural differences positions or opinions, and encourages staff to overcome cultural barriers and background differences;
- Ability to serve the interest of a culturally diverse multinational teams/organizations/communities without prejudice, bias or sympathy to a select group.
- Knowledge of the Community mandate, strategic plan/priorities as well as the economic, political and social state/trends of member states, especially as pertains to own scope of work;
- Ability to analyze a situation by way of indicators (e.g. performance, technical) to assess the costs, benefits, risks, and chances for success, in making a decisions;
- Ability to pull together information from different sources to identify the source of problems, consequences of alternative courses of action, potential obstacles and ways to avoid the problem in the future;
- To break down very complex situations/information into simple terms (using charts, diagrams, effective expository writing) to explain recommendations and conclusions aimed at solving problems or improving operations/programs/projects;
- Ability to develop new insights into situations, apply innovative solutions to problems and to design new methods of addressing issues/disconnects where established methods and procedures are inapplicable, unavailable or no longer effective.
- Proficiency in oral and written French and English languages;
- Ability to communicate with impact, clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner conveying credibility & confidence when making presentations, setting expectations and explaining complex issues;
- Ability to listen intently and correctly interpret messages from others and respond appropriately;
- Accomplished technical writing skills (e.g. proposals, terms of reference, program assessments, blueprints, business processes) with well-developed editing;
- Ability to give honest feedback, provide recognition, address shortcomings and motivate direct reports to work at peak performance.
- Superior organizational and project/program management skills with significant experience identifying timelines, targets, costs and resources necessary to deliver on operational/program/project outputs;
- Ability to set effective goals and targets for self, others, and the work unit and adjusting work or project priorities in response to changing circumstances;
- Ability to identify gaps affecting the achievement of program/project expectations and to design and implement intervention plans required to build the desired capacity (e.g. training, structural realignment, partnerships, reallocation of resources;
- Implement rigorous monitoring, and evaluation practices and to set in place regular reporting schedules relevant to key outputs (e.g. management indicators, project milestones, program results, processing targets);
- Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
UA53, 373.02, USD84, 211.94 per annum.
Application Closing Date
22nd April, 2020.