The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Officer – Disarmament
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Department: Political Affairs, Peace &Security
Directorate: Peacekeeping & Regional Security
Division: Small Arms
Line Supervisor: Principal Programme Officer Small Arms
- Under the supervision of Principal Programme Officer Small Arms, the incumbent shall support the implementation of disarmament programs/activities by providing adequate capacity to Member States in Arms and Ammunition Stockpile Management including Weapons Marking, Tracing, Collection & Destruction.
- The Officer will also undertake the collection of relevant information/data on the status of arms and ammunition administration and management in the region.
Role and Responsibilities
- Support elaboration of programs and projects related to disarmament based on emerging threats in the region;
- Support coordination of disarmament programs in Member States by carrying out the following activities:
- Providing sustainable capacity building on Physical Security and Stockpile Management (PSSM), including training and equipment support;
- Planning and execution of collection and destruction of Arms and Ammunition exercises in Member States;
- Support the implementation of Weapons Marking & Tracing in Member States;
- Support in building a regional Database/Roster of Experts in PSSM, Marking & Tracing;
- Support implementation of programs/projects on disarmament, demobilization and reintegration (DDR);
- Support Mobilization of Resources for the implementation of the Convention on SALW ;
- Perform any other task as assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Political Science, International Relations, Computer Science, or any Social Science or Security related field from a recognized University.
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in Political Affairs, Governance, Diplomacy, conflict resolution, information management security or related field;
- Understanding of political, governance and security dynamics, conflict prevention management and resolution;
- Technical competence to conduct information gathering, research and analysis with modern technology.
- Ability to understand and apply approaches, techniques and tools that draw on a wide range of inputs and improve the quality and pace of mediation in the coordination of Reginal Political Affairs.
- Experience working in an international organization or at a multi-country level highly desirable;
- Experience in supporting development of regional and national security policies/strategies will be an advantage;
- Strong knowledge of ECOWAS, AU and UN policies, strategies and approached in Small Arms is required;
- Knowledge of relevant instruments of peace and security will be an added advantage;
- Knowledge of project management, monitoring and evaluation of projects;
- Knowledge of the life-cycle approaches in the management of SALW, practical disarmament measures such as physical security and stockpiling of weapons, arms marking and destruction
- Field experience in weapons management;
- Knowledge of regional, continental and international small arms control obligations and programs on disarmament and non – proliferation;
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
ECOWAS Key Competencies:
- Ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- Ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information and resources;
- Ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and the subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance.
- Contribute to maintaining organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.
- Interpersonal skills with ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- Ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
- Ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigates issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- Ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards;
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an unbias and transparent manner.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS internal operational requirements of programs, projects, services and systems required to achieve work assignments and meet performance goals;
- Knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS culture, structures and performance issues and priorities impacting assigned responsibilities;
- Knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- Ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals;
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees.
- Demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- Ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means, ;
- Exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- Identify, organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution;
- Ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks;
- Ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.
UA 49,106.81 USD77,480.72
Application Closing Date
7th February, 2021.