The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Analyst, RCO
Job ID: 33883
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – Programme
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 year with possibility of renewal
- The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) were adopted by World leaders in September 2015 as the successor to the unfinished business of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)
- In order to fast-track it implementation in Nigeria, a technical collaboration between the Office of the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Sustainable Development Goals (OSSAP-SDGs) and the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) has been developed
- The technical collaboration is aimed at coordinating the partnerships for SDGs implementation between MDAs at the National level, between the national and sub-national governments as well as between the government and the private sector
- The approach builds on the work already done by OSSAP-SDGs and individual UN Agencies in the last four years
- This recruitment will help strengthen the implementation capacity of the OSSAP-SDGs in the discharge of its four-fold mandate.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the Senior Technical Advisor, and oversight by the SSAP-SDG, the Programme Specialist will work in close collaboration with relevant Units/Departments to:
- Support strategic planning, coordination and implementation of the SDGs, in close collaboration with other Units/Departments;
- Support the preparation of Annual Work Plans, establish priorities, timelines, targets and standards for monitoring results;
- Work in close collaboration with other teams in the office, as well as, other UN agencies, Government officials, multilateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society in ensuring successful implementation of the SDGs;
- Prepare timely and regular progress reports for effective dissemination to MDAs and other stakeholders. Regularly report on progress, best practices, lessons learned, success stories, beneficiaries’ stories;
- Support and/or conduct case studies and researches;
- Facilitate effective partnership building and resource mobilization for the SDGs;
- Contribute to the development of SDGs’ Partnership and Resource Mobilization strategy, including the Integrated National Financing Framework (INFF);
- Support the identification of critical non-state actors and build credible working partnerships in support of the SDGs in Nigeria.
- Perform any other duties that could be assigned by the supervisor.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Analyzes complex technical materials (including data) and makes concise, relevant recommendations
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Proactively identifies new opportunities and challenges
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Creates confidence among stakeholders by delivering authoritative positions, compelling analysis, and contextual acumen
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services;
Technical / Functional:
- Building Strategic Partnerships: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Client Orientation: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree in Development-related disciplines, Economics, Business Administration, Public Policy, Project Management or other relevant Social Sciences.
- A minimum of two (2) years of relevant professional experience in development planning and management;
- Familiarity with SDGs mainstreaming principles and processes.
- Good Knowledge of SDGs issues at both national and sub-national levels.
- Cognate working experience with government institutions in Nigeria.
- Knowledge of Programme/project management, monitoring and evaluation is an asset.
- Computer literacy skills
- Good written and oral communication skills in English
- Proficiency in English. Working knowledge of other UN language desirable.
Application Closing Date
15th December, 2020 (Midnight New York, USA).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Applicant Information
- All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
- Applicant information about UNDP rosters
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement
- We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it.
- Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced.
- Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.