Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Manager – Inspiring Project
Team / Programme: Inspiring
Post Type: National
- Level 3 – The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
- The Project Manager, Lagos provides leadership and managerial oversight for the administrative, programmatic, technical, research and operational aspects of the programme in Lagos state.
- S/he will oversee the day-to-day implementation of the programme and will be accountable for the effective financial and operational management including planning project activities, estimate time and financial commitments.
- The Project Manager is accountable for delivering State level activities in Lagos to the agreed quality standards and is responsible to seek and coordinate input as appropriate from the technical teams, to ensure the development and adherence to technical program quality standards, monitoring and evaluation systems, donor and SCI regulations.
- S/he will be responsible for monitoring and reporting on the project’s progress in relation to timely delivery, outputs actual spend, quality and results as compared to the original plans and the project proposal. S/he will manage issues and risk and make recommendations on how to adjust or reallocate resources to accommodate changes and respond to challenges.
- S/he will also be responsible for effective stakeholder relationship management, including developing and maintaining strong working relationships with the donor, government and partner agencies, operating in the State and federal level.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: Chief of Party.
- Staff directly reporting to this post: 5.
- Budget responsibility: Yes
Key Areas of Accountability
In consultation and agreement with the Chief of Party:
- Provide direction and coordination of the programme in Lagos State.
- Attract and maintain strong working relationship with partners and stakeholders.
- Ensure state-level representation by the programme on behalf of Save the Children, builds trust and influence with Government and other key stakeholders, highlighting where effective practise can positively influence policy.
- Lead the development of high-quality programming, annual plans and budgeting processes for the programme, as and when necessary.
- Ensure that an effective monitoring system is in place in the programme state for achieving agreed targets and sound financial management, as well as ensuring that value for money can be effectively demonstrated to the donor.
- Coordinate state programme’s operational and analytical research, coordinate the dissemination of results and ensure that research informs advocacy.
- Ensure that other technical sectors in the state (e.g. Nutrition, Advocacy) are coordinated, integrated and support each other to optimise the project purposes and objectives.
- Lead on the submission of the state quarterly and annual reports and submission of deliverables.
- Provide updates to the Chief of Party at regular intervals
- Inspire, lead and motivate the state programme team to deliver project objectives, including technical advisors and consultants, and the finance and admin staff working on the project.
- Ensure the project and its team comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy to ensure maximum protection for children.
- Ensure project team is undertaking monthly Awards review meetings and all actions implemented.
Program Management and Implementation:
- Remain up to date on good practices recommended in the Global action plan for prevention and control of pneumonia (GAPP) as well as good practices on routine immunisation services to ensure programme quality and impact
- Oversee the development and successful implementation of state work plans for the programme components;
- Ensure the smooth running and coordination of Pneumonia Programme activities.
- Work closely with the Programme MEAL Team the CO MEAL Team to develop appropriate monitoring and evaluation plans and with managers of technical components to ensure technical program objectives are met.
- Ensure compliance with all grant provisions, and timely fulfilment of the State programmatic reporting requirements.
- Support the development of Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP) and procurement plan.
- Oversee timely expenditure of approved state budgets, avoiding both under spending and overspending on grant line items.
- Produce high-quality reports within agreed reporting schedules.
- Take full responsibility for the delegated budget holding function on the programmatic aspects of the managed grant, participate actively in finance meetings and contribute to financial decision making.
- Ensure programme delivery happens in strict adherence to security policy and procedures.
- Document programme learning, and incorporate analysis and lessons learned into new strategies/activities and advocacy work.
Human Resources Management and Administration:
- Supervise assigned advisors: maintain updated job descriptions for each position, conduct annual performance evaluations, identify staff skills development needs.
- See that all staff and partners are aware of and understand SCI policies and procedures; take appropriate disciplinary measures as needed.
- Ensure all administrative procedures are followed, such as those regarding vehicle use and procurement; ensure logistics/administrative staff provides sufficient and timely support to the team.
- Lead, manage and motivate the programme’s staff, ensuring they have clear objectives and receive meaningful feedback on their performance regularly, in collaboration with the human resources department.
- Lead on capacity building of staff through coaching, mentoring and training.
- Create and maintain a cooperative and positive working environment where staff have clear roles and responsibilities, participate in decision-making and are supported in progressing towards their objectives.
Representation and Leadership:
- Maintain good working relationships with government officials.
- Represent SC and maintain good working relationships among the international and local NGO community, among community leadership structures and community-based organizations, and to visiting donor teams and other key contacts.
- Maintain focus on SC programme principles.
- Encourage teamwork, openness, and honesty among staff and between SC and its partners.
- Any other tasks assigned by the Chief of party.
- Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child safeguarding policy, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- Academic: Advanced Degree in Public Health or related field.
- At least 7 years of experience in programme management and administration, financial management, award contractual compliance, sub-award management, and tracking project performance and costs via specific funding streams. Five (5) of these years should be in child health and public health programs of similar complexity.
- At least 4 years of experience managing a programme that focuses on at least four of the following areas: prevention and treatment communicable childhood illnesses; social and behavioural change; quality improvement/quality assurance; and civil society capacity building.
- Proven experience of managing large grants and management of risks.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully fulfilling performance objectives, including the timely implementation and reporting of donor-funded program activities.
- Strong understanding of key principles of advocacy, monitoring and evaluation, child participation and accountability.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, motivate, mentor and direct staff while creating a positive team environment.
- Sound understanding of different methodologies of M&E and operational research and experience in developing integrated M&E and Learning systems;
- Ability to present results and products to the donor and other key stakeholders.
- Commitment to the values, missions, aims and policies of Save the Children.
- Demonstrated ability with project grants management, including project design, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, supervision and performance management, etc.
- Skills and experience in programme monitoring review, reporting and evaluation.
- Strong skills in people management, moderation, conflict resolution and capacity building.
- Excellent report writing skills and fluency in written and spoken English
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children aims, values and principles.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice):
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency.
Application Closing Date
12th August, 2020.