The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Technical Assistant
Job ID: 1938
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Category: Assistant
Role and Responsibilities
- The purpose of the Protection Assistant position is to assist in the day to day implementation of protection activities in NRC Contribute to the achievement of project objectives through integrating protection with other sector responses, for the internally displaced persons (IDPs) and other conflict-affected communities in NRC operational areas in the state.
- Ensure that safe programming principles are mainstreamed in NRC’ programmatic activities in the areas of intervention
- Support in the implementation of Protection trainings for external stakeholders, NRC teams and IDPs
- Ensure that identified vulnerable beneficiaries are referred to specialised agencies, by adhering the relevant protocols and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Maintain the relationship between the community/beneficiaries and the organization, through effective coordination in the field.
- Identify protection risks and gaps through regular field visits, and address them by using NRC procedures and forms.
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities
- Investigate and facilitate introduction of new technology, method and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities
- Build capacity of NRC program and support teams on protection safe programing by conducting regular awareness raising sessions, inductions and support Core Protection training follow up.
- Participate in assessment and identification of protection gaps including GBV issues and support coordination with other protection actors to address those gaps
- Identify vulnerable beneficiaries with special needs and suggest the best type of assistance for each individual case tailored to the specific needs of the case (safe referrals to specialized actors
- By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments / units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Strategy and project planning: Project Manager-Maiduguri, Project Coordinator
- Area Operations: Finance Officer, Logistic Officer
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
- Professional competencies
- These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance:
- Generic professional competencies
- Experience from working in humanitarian / recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Good command of English.
- Experience from working in a protection role in an emergency or protracted crises settings
- Documented results related to position’s responsibilities
- Proficiency in English Hausa and Kanuri
- Strong communication, coordination and representational skills.
- Contextual knowledge of north east Nigeria (Borno State) preferred.
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
- Performance Management
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The Work and Development Plan
- The Mid-term / End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template
- The End-term Performance Review Template
- The NRC Competency
Application Closing Date
10th June, 2021 – 11:38 AM.