The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Public Information Officer
Requisition: SVN 2020 262
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Programme Development Coordinator, in close coordination with the Head of Sub-offices and in collaboration with the Regional Media and Communications Officer in RO Dakar and the Head of the Media and Communications Unit in Geneva, the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting in the implementation of public information (PI) strategies that promote an accurate narrative on migration in the media, among the UN and other IOM key partners as well as the general public.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Contribute inputs for and implement IOM Nigeria’s internal and external communications strategies in line with the Organization’s guidelines and donor requirements, to assist in promoting an accurate narrative on displacement, migration and other issues central to IOM with the media, general public, donors, the UN and other key partners.
- Draft, update and submit for approval relevant communications content and public information material for IOM Nigeria in a timely manner, including press releases, op-eds, videos, feature stories, infographics, factsheets, newsletters or brochures within the Country Office, to other IOM Country Offices, HQ, and to external sources, including donors, United Nations (UN) agencies, government counterparts and other interested stakeholders as required.
- Coordinate the collection of PI assets including photos and stories from the field to be used in a comprehensive PI strategy for the Mission.
- Liaise with media, partner and government counterparts on the Country Office’s work, community activities, events and other relevant IOM stories as appropriate.
- Regularly update Country Office documents, such as: newsletters, periodic reports, information sheets, brochures, PowerPoint presentations and other written reports and materials on IOM programmes in close coordination with relevant units.
- Participate in enhancing IOM Nigeria’s communications capacity by providing training to units and field teams and by providing information and assistance to field teams in aspects of media and communications.
- Generate timely and engaging content including text, photos, and other media for use across a range of integrated online platforms.
- Contribute to the development and dissemination of appropriate communications and media resources for crisis-affected communities in the specific country context.
- Facilitate the mission’s accountability to affected populations by providing communications information and guidance to IOM Nigeria’s community engagement efforts.
- Facilitate internal communication across the organization on IOM Nigeria’s work.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Journalism, Communications, International Affairs, Development Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Extensive experience in writing and editing, international journalism, and public information; preferably in African region;
- Previous experience writing and reporting in international and crisis contexts preferably within the United Nations Common System and the International Humanitarian Field;
- Practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
- Strong organizational and editorial skills;
- Ability to timely understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios;
- Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines;
- Excellent communication and writing skills with the ability to analyses complex problems and identify and convey clear, rapid solutions;
- Strong general analytical skills;
- Significant reporting skills.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Notes: 1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link – https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
- Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
- Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
Application Closing Date
10th December, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.