The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Reproductive Health Midwife
Requisition ID: req10065
Location: Monguno, Borno
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Background / IRC Summary
- The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014 the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations. IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri, Monguno and Gwoza of Borno state and Damatru of Yobe State.
- Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, food security & livelihoods.
Job Overview / Summary
- The Midwife is a member of the health team, and will be responsible for supporting the implementation of Reproductive Health activities, including the MISP (Minimum Initial Service Package for RH in Crisis Situations) according to the IRC and donor work plans.
- She will work to ensure the improved quality of the project clinical activities e.g. family planning, maternal and neonatal care, case management of sexually transmitted diseases and the clinical management of sexual assault survivors in the IRC supported health facilities
- The Midwife will ensure the well-being of girls and women in Monguno through the IRC supported health facilities and RH Services at community level
- The Midwife is responsible for the oversight and implementation of Maternal and Neonatal Care, in particular: Basic Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal Care (BEmONC), Antenatal Care and Postnatal Care, Counselling and provision of Family Planning (including Long term methods), care for sexual assault survivals are offered according to MoH Guidelines at the IRC supported health facilities is of quality standard, Post Abortion Care.
In line with the Minimal Initial Service Package (MISP):
- Provide the Clinical Care for Sexual Assault Survivors (CCSAS) according to national protocols and guidelines.
- Provide the clinical care activities in the IRC RH clinical area or at the maternity
- Adhere to and practice use of Universal Precautions, Covid19 health facility guidance and proper waste management at all IRC supported health facilities.
- Performs basic and assisted delivery care.
- Performs any needed neonatal and obstetric resuscitation activity.
- Ensures timely supported referrals to the nearest Emergency Obstetric Care center.
- Provide technical support and guidance to other midwives in assisted deliveries (by vacuum, and breech).
- Identifies survivors of sexual assault and refers them for registration, counseling and Clinical Care Support the RH and GBV clinic staff with technical advice, and provides services in line with the MoH and / or international best practice guidelines.
- Monitor progress against grant work plan; promptly identifying any current or potential delays and recommending solutions to technical issues.
- Monitor program supply inventory levels; perform monthly spot-checks on program inventory
- Work with and provide timely technical support to IRC’s implementing partners; maintain respectful and constructive relations with partner staff, services providers and patients.
- Fully comply with IRC safety and security procedures and provide input to security monitoring and assessments to enable and promote a safe and secure environment for program
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Integration Officer
- Position directly supervises: RH Clinic support staff
- Indirect Reporting: RH Doctor, RH Manager
- Other Internal and / or external contacts:
- Internal: Health team, WPE team, Child protection
- External: Other SRH partners.
- This is non-relocatable position, and as such indigenes / residents of Monguno will be given preference.
- Qualified Midwife / Nurse with a Degree / Diploma / Certificate and a practicing license Work Experience
- At least 1 year experience in midwifery and nursing care preferably in SRH, at BEmONC and at primary health care level
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Skills to communicate on sensitive RH topics, provide RH education
- Experience counseling survivors of abuse or violence with a reputable organization.
- Clear understanding of gender equality and gender issues for women and girls.
- Ability to maintain beneficiary confidentiality and respect at all times is essential.
- Ability to lead, train, supervise and facilitate other midwives, nursing staff and community health workers in their respective tasks.
- Positive and professional attitude, able to organize, maintain composure and prioritize work under pressure, work overtime when necessary and be able to coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Ability to work as a member of a team is essential.
- Ability to communicate in English and write clear and concise reports in English.
- Must be computer literate, including Microsoft Word and Excel
- English and Hausa a must, Kanuri and Shuwa will be an added advantage
Standards of Professional Conduct
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability, in accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Application Closing Date