The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Supervisor (Breeding)
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
Establishment of field trials:
- Design trials using under supervision of breeder using state-of-the art experimental approaches including row-column and alpha-lattice designs.
- Manage day-to-day operations of on-station, off-station, and on-farm cassava breeding field trials.
Phenotyping and data management:
- Prepare plot barcodes and electronic resources for data capture including hardware and software
- Collect pre-harvest data, including early plant vigor, pest and disease resistance and morphological characterization.
- Conduct harvesting of field trials and capture yield and yield-related traits data
- Prepare and upload data on Breeding Database (cassavabase)
- Responsible for updating and maintaining trials and pedigree records.
Implementation of high-throughput phenotyping:
- Carry out image-based phenotyping (leaf and root traits related to morphology and pest and diseases)
- Conduct phenotyping of quality traits using portable Near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) equipment
- B.Sc / HND in Agriculture, Agronomy, Biology, or related fields with two (2) years’ experience in field breeding environment.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have good field data collection skills, excellent record keeping, experience in high through-put phenotyping, trial design and data analysis skills
- Be organized, strong attention to detail and excellent time management skills
- Consistently follow field and lab protocols and other directions and with minimal errors
- Be dependable, takes initiative and responsibility for own actions
- Be flexible, adaptable, able to respond to changes in routine
- Be strong listening, verbal, and documentation skills.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
10th August, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format.The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)