Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Roving Safety and Security Coordinator
Reference ID: 210005C1
Location: Abuja (with ability to deploy within 72 hours to any newly arising needs in any SC’s implementing and accessible areas)
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Contract Length: 6 Months
Programme: Humanitarian Fund (HF)
- Level 3: The role holder will have contact with children and young people either frequently (e.g., once a week or more) or intensively (e.g., four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in-country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- Save the Children Nigeria will establish and train a Roving Rapid Response Team. The team will be based in Abuja, with the ability to mobilize and respond within 72 hours to any newly arising needs in any SC’s implementing and accessible areas. The Roving Rapid Response Team will be trained in conducting rapid needs assessment and time managing the start-up of the responses while supporting new proposals development and further on appropriate handover to the FO’s teams.
- In the first phase, the team will be led and composed mainly by HSTs, and it is expected to become nationalized entirely within a period of 6 months. The Ops Team will rapidly deploy this role to support the response team in quickly developing and implementing a humanitarian response.
- The Senior Safety and Security Coordinator will work closely with the SCI Nigeria Safety and Security Director to manage overall safety and security for the emergency response programme. The Senior Safety and Security Coordinator will facilitate the implementation of Save the Children’s Safety and Security Policy and Standards within deployed field locations; help drive systemic change in the quality of safety and security management, contribute to enforcing deployed field Safety and Security Policy and Standards; and carry out safety and security assessments; make recommendations and provide support for their implementation by country programmes. She/he will also take forward the organizational security ethos. While on an assignment, the post holder will play a key role in the capacity building of Safety & Security Focal Points, where applicable.
- As a Safety Coordinator, she/he will be expected to undertake a leadership role in an emergency and support the team leaders and team at a senior level.
Key Areas Of Accountability
- Engage deployed field programme management and staff as well as staff at all levels to facilitate the adoption and compliance with the Save the Children’s Safety and Security Policy and Standards
- Undertake Security Risk Assessments for any emergency responses and operations
- In-depth analysis for overall country security context
- Undertake and manage implementation and compliance with Save the Children’s Safety and Security Policy and Standards
- Develop and deliver the capacity building in safety and security management for field managers and safety and security training for staff
- Provide safety security management advice, guidance, and support to the field and the Roving HST Team and field managers.
- Assist in the evaluation and implementation of actions to reduce risk across field and field office
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to field Offices in implementing action plans based on country office security assessments and recommendations.
- Assess and evaluate field offices’ security guidelines and make recommendations for improvements using the Save the Children Policy and Standards for security management plans, evacuation contingency plans, and standard operating procedures.
- Promote the concept that the whole team should jointly develop safety and security plans and guidelines to create ownership and encourage compliance.
- Promote the concept that safety and security is an integral element of programme design and operations and should be amongst the first planning considerations.
- Promote the need for each field programme to have safety and security as a standing agenda item on the FMT or management team meeting and quickly highlight any issue to the Roving Ops Manager or Security Safety Director.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities, and other relevant policies and procedures.
Qualifications and Experience
- Expertise in current safety and security practices and issues affecting aid work nationally.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken).
- Significant experience of NGO security management/Adviser.
- Proven experience and understanding of humanitarian or field operations and understanding of programming in an emergency.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at all levels, establish information and security networks, and coordinate with country authorities, militias, donors, International Organisations, and local NGOs.
- Experience of working in hostile environments. Self-motivated with the ability to work autonomously in a highly stressful and challenging environment.
- Accredited training skills and proven experience of training multi-national staff
- Ability to formulate and communicate analysis of a changing security environment.
- Proven skills in concise report writing. Ability to prioritize security-related tasks and complete reports to deadlines.
- Strong leadership skills and proven skills in managing a team in hostile environments
- Proven knowledge of MS office applications and IT literacy, and capacity to learn and use other packages.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of the Save the Children mandate and child focus and ensuring this continues to underpin all aspects of the job. Commitment to Save the Children child protection policy.
- Operational experience in post-war / disaster-affected environments with NGO, Military, or police background.
- Operational programming experience.
Competencies For This Role:
Problem Solving and Decision Making:
- Takes effective, considered, and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information from within or outside the organization.
- Level required: Leading Edge
Leading and Inspiring Others:
- Demonstrates leadership in all our work embodies our values, and articulates a compelling vision to inspire others to achieve our goals for children.
- Level required: Accomplished
- Takes personal responsibilities and holds others accountable for delivering our ambitious goals for children, continually improving their performance or team/organization.
- Level required: Leading Edge
Innovating and Adapting:
- Develops and implements innovative solutions to adapt and succeed in ever-changing and uncertain global and working environments.
- Level required: Accomplished.
- Builds and uses sustainable relationships and networks to support the work of Save the Children
- Level required: Accomplished.
Application Closing Date
9th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online