International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Finance Assistant – G6
SVN No.: SVN2021.59
Organizational Unit: Resource Management
IOM Classification: G6
Type of Appointment: Special Short–Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall Supervision of Senior Resource Management Officer (SRMO) and direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer (RMO), the incumbent will be responsible for the preparation, verification, and review of accounts payable, funds requests, release of payments, reconciliation of accounts, financial reports and other financial issues in accordance with IOM Financial Management Rules and Procedures.
In particular, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Verifies the Payment Requests with the supporting documents before submission to RMO/ SRMO for final review /endorsement. Verifies invoices and ascertains that the equipment, supplies or services they refer to were duly received before proceeding with the Payment Request
- Verify and enter Costumer Invoice for sale of assets or other property and request for reimbursement and ensure proper documentation is completed timely.
- Assist in the preparation of financial monitoring reports for the assigned projects, analysing and ensuring that the allocated funds are efficiently disbursed, and with regards to the staff and office cost, ensure the only the eligible costs have been charged.
- Assist the RMO and SRMO in preparation of annual budget submission and revisions including estimating the cost of staff as well as rental and utilities, office equipment and supplies, printing, and other contracts, services or running expenses, to Include in the budget.
- Assist in monthly Office Cost Projectization analysis file at the beginning of each month.
- IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity. Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
- Ensure vendor accounts are monitored and cleared in a timely manner. Assist in clearing and maintaining the control accounts in the SAP system periodically.
- Ensure the accurate performance of bank reconciliation to the respective bank GL’s on a timely manner
- Undertake quality control checks on the monthly accounts, assist the month end accounts closure and ensure the deadlines are adhered to rules and procedures.
- Assist Project Managers on any arising issues concerning the financial monitoring reports and the RMO and Project Managers to produce both interim and final financial reports for the active projects and assist in carrying out financial analysis
- Assist in liaison with the RMO, project external auditors and IOM internal auditors in conducting such audits and handle the audit queries raised by donors for the completed projects.
- In consultation with RMO, assist in preparation of response to the queries outside the mission (internal and external) within reasonable timeframe.
- Clear Periodic checklist queries/ project review queries forwarded by RAS in coordination with the RMO/SRMO and respond to RAS, MRF, HQ and other missions
- 1Analyse and report on expenditure and variations within projects. Bring to the attention of the RMO any relevant financial and budgetary issues on an ongoing basis.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly, or annual financial reports, including financial reports for the Mission and donors, adhering to established reporting deadlines set by project agreements.
- Assist in liaising with the IOM bank in Nigeria as well as IOM treasury unit in Geneva to ensure there is sufficient funds in the missions’ bank accounts to meet the mission’s financial commitments
- Maintain and ensure the appropriate internal controls are observed to safeguard the Organizational assets and prevent frauds and make suggestions for improvements.
- Assists in the preparation of documentation for project outside PRIMA including preparation BNP.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned from time to time
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or any other related field.
- Five years of working experience with completed High/Secondary school education or, three years of working experience
- Certification in CPA II or more will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of accounting systems (SAP advantage), generally accepted accounting principles and audit/review procedures.
- Ability to analyze and interpret source information and data; capable of designing, reviewing, and revising business processes to achieve efficiency.
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, drive for results, creative thinking, organized, accurate.
- Ability to work effectively with different levels within and outside the organization and with colleagues from varied cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Computer literacy including proficiency in MS Office applications; knowledge of other IT packages and their implementation is an advantage.
- Ability to draft correspondence and communicate effectively.
- Fluency in English and French required, working knowledge of Portuguese an advantage.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
Application Closing Date
16th July, 2021.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2021.059 Lagos. Senior Finance Assistant, G6.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.