The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Project Assistant
SVN No.: SVN2021.55
Location: Benin City, Edo
Organizational Unit: Migration Management (Migrant Protection Assistance-MPA)
IOM Classification: G7
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST) 6 Months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Working under the overall supervision of the Head of Migrant Protection and Assistance /MPA) and direct supervision of the Project Officer (MM/AVRR) Benin city, and in close collaboration and consultation with other units within the Migration Management Unit, the successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating the implementation and monitoring of the AVRR activities under the Migration Management unit.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Provide specialized assistance and leadership for planning and implementing the Migrant protection assistance component of the Migration Management unit, Nigeria, including tracking and monitoring the implementation progress to verify the projects objectives are achieved and suggesting corrective actions;
- Lead the team providing rehabilitation and reintegration support to returned migrants and potential migrants in close coordination with other Migration Management (MM) and other sub-units and ensure the documentation and filing of all cases for reference and monitoring including regular update of beneficiaries’ information.
- Liaison and strengthen partnerships with relevant governmental, non-governmental, international organizations as well as other relevant stakeholders in conducting local market study, value-chain analysis of various market opportunities existing in communities of origin of returned migrants to identify intervention needs on strengthening implementation of reintegration activities.
- Assist and participate in the design, planning, implementation of community Based reintegration project, liaise with technical review team in execution, monitoring, /supply of project requirements to ensure they are in line with standards and specifications required by the project.
- Oversee the capacity building activities to relevant state and non-state actors, including training institutions involved with providing rehabilitation and sustainable reintegration assistance.
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of project activities, including the day-to-day management of reintegration grants, and the work of implementing partners in the community-based reintegration activities and report the progress to the project officer, including preparation of monthly narrative financial reports.
- Conduct rapid preliminary assessments for projects that have the potential to be used for community-based reintegration; provide general support to in-depth assessments that will be conducted by external sources to understand the impact of grants and community projects.
- Establish linkages to vocational learning institutions and refer beneficiaries to selected marketable courses and conduct in-house regular training for identified project beneficiaries on the technical skills required to operate and efficiently manage the reintegration projects. 9. Perform and oversee returning migrant and potential migrant data entry activities as required by the project in MiMOSA and/or other relevant database as required by the project in coordination with respective RO offices. Perform continuous follow up for any changes in case or individual status / details and make respective changes in applications. 10. Review the conditions of the business plan pertaining to the reintegration/AVRR program and propose appropriate monitoring tools for individual grants.
- Collect and analyse and present information through periodic (monthly) and ad-hoc reports on reintegration activities for evidenced-based programming. Coordinate and exchange information with national institutional, professional and academic counterparts.
- Undertake duty travel as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Educational Qualification and Experience
- University Degree from an accredited institution in International Relations, Economics, Migration Studies, Management, Law and other Social Sciences with Five years professional experience
- Diploma in the above fields with Seven years of relevant working experience
- Experience working in Nigeria on community-based interventions and an excellent understanding of the current business environment and Nigeria market structure.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality is mandatory.
- Knowledge of social development issues as well as general migration related issues in the country and the region
- Good knowledge of project development, administration, monitoring and evaluation of concepts and procedures.
- Technically competent in writing, documentation and data management.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government counterparts, international/community-based organizations and private sector entities.
- Previous work experience in international organizations and companies would be an advantage preferably within the United Nations or within the international development and humanitarian field;
- Practical knowledge and experience in the use of the MS Office package, SharePoint etc;
- Ability to work under time constraints and deadlines in challenging settings.
- Ability to work in multicultural and multiethnic environments.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, approach, and coordinate with stakeholders of diverse backgrounds and levels of expertise
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of the local language advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Application Closing Date
13th July, 2021.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2021.55. Benin Senior Project Assistant (MPA).
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.