The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Research Associate
Project ID No: IITA–HR–NRS2020–018
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Contract: 1-year renewable contract.
Recruitment Type: National (1–year renewable contract)
- Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Co–lead the implementation of projects objectives and deliverables through quantitative and qualitative gender–focused analyses within the ‘Nextgen cassava’ and ‘RTB foods’ projects in cooperation with Nigerian Root Crop Research Institute (NCRI).
- Develop qualitative (major) and quantitative (minor) tools and analyse data using software such as SPSS, Nvivo, STATA, ATLAS.ti and R and make conference presentations, author publications in peer–review journals, and develop posters, blogs, and briefs
- Manage survey data, organise, train and supervise staff involved in quantitative and qualitative data collection, entry and cleaning
- Design, lead and carry out fieldwork in rural communities for gender focused qualitative (a.o. intra–household, and within cooperatives) research and in relation to the citizen science Tricot approach for cassava variety evaluation with stakeholders
- Develop and adopt new gender responsive methodologies and qualitative research tools and develop communication and training materials such as protocols/guides, audio and audio–visual content to disseminate gender approaches and research findings at scientific conferences on behalf of project team and scientist
- Co–lead the implementation of a systematic customer and product profiling incorporating gender aspects for each value chain actor to foster gender responsive cassava breeding in Nigeria and support cases studies in Vietnam and Zambia as part of the RTB CRP “Golden egg” initiative
- Facilitate interdisciplinary meetings and cooperation with bio–physical scientists, food scientist, and colleagues in social/gender science for joined article and methodology development
- Support project supervisors/bio–physical scientists on proposal development for resource mobilization
- Mentor graduate trainee (NYSC corpers) and supervise students working on gender related projects
- Be a resource person at gender sensitization workshops with excellent presentation and communication skills
- Lead the preparation and reporting of the gender/social science team’s monthly activities to scientist and project lead
- Additional roles assigned as a member of the IITA gender science network and RTB Foods gender working group
- Perform any other additional roles assigned as a member of the IITA gender science network and RTB Foods gender working group.
- Masters Degree in, Food Science / Technology, or related field with minimum of six(6) years’ experience in a well–structured environment or donor funded organization.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have experience with qualitative and quantitative data analysis tools such as Nvivo, Atlas.ti, SPSS and familiar with database equal to Cassava base (crop ontologies) and Climb Mob data platforms (www.ClimMob.net) and have rudimentary knowledge of R.
- Have excellent social skills in building contacts of trust with key persos in rural communities such as community leaders, farmers and processors.
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
19th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format
- The application must include the names and e–mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women. While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.