The FHI 360 company is a nonprofit human development sector that is dedicated to improve lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated and locally driven solutions. FHI 360 staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Technical Officer, Surveillance and M&E
Supervisor: Project Technical Advisor
Job Type: Full time
- FHI 360 seeks qualified candidates for the centers for Disease control (CDC)-funded Strengthening Global Health Security by implementation of the International Health Regulations (IHR) (2005) and the Global Health Security Agenda in Nigeria. The award aims to strengthen the capacity of the Nigerian health system to monitor and mitigate recurring Infectious disease outbreaks, detect and control emerging infectious diseases and improve surveillance and response systems.
- The award also aims to support Nigeria to attain the goal of the A National Action Plan for Health Security (NAPHS), a 5-year strategic plan that was developed in 201 g by the Federal Ministry of Health in collaboration with relevant MDA5 such as the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.
- The plan is based on the principles of’One Health’ and seeks to strengthen International Health Regulations core capacities based on gaps identified by the WHO Joint External Evaluation and other health security assessments conducted in Nigeria. Recruitment for above stated position is contingent upon successful award of the project and the selection of the final applicant Is subject to donor approval.
- Collaboration for HIV Prevention Options to control the Epidemic (CHOICE) is an 1 B-month collaboration funded by USAID, in partnership with PEPFAR, through the Office of HIV/AIDS’ five-year central mechanisms: Meeting Targets and Maintaining Epidemic control (Epici and Reaching Impact, Saturation, and Epidemic control (RISE).
- The goal of this partnership is to address technical gaps and support national scale-up of antiretroviral-based HIV prevention products (collectively referred to as PrEP) in PEPFAR countries through catalytic evidence generation, translation, and research utilization. CHOICE is led by FHI 360 and Jhpiego. CHOICE harnesses collaborative engagement and research utilization expertise to increase awareness, expand access, build capacity, and support effective use of PrEP.
- The Senior Technical Officer, Surveillance and M&E will support the implementation of surveillance systems strengthening activities for an anticipated CDC Global Health Security (GHS) funded Grant to support global health priorities in Nigeria with the general objective to prevent, detect, rapidly and effectively respond to public health threats of international concern including naturally occurring outbreaks and intentional or accidental releases of dangerous pathogens.
- S/He will be responsible for the oversight of activities to strengthen the capacity and network of human and animal health surveillance and monitoring systems to detect and report emerging biological threats and generate data to enhance the rapid and effective response to public health threats.
- The incumbent will be based in Abuja with frequent field visits (50 percent or more) to different parts of Nigeria.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership in designing, planning, monitoring, data analysis, report preparation and dissemination of project surveillance data in collaboration with the relevant key stakeholders as per the national, regional and global standards and requirements.
- Provide technical assistance to laboratories and surveillance sites (human and animal health) to collect, analyze and report quality surveillance data from laboratory Information systems, MOH Health Management Information System (HMIS) and other data repositories or databases.
- Provide technical leadership in the mapping of data to determine trends, generate visualization tools/dashboards to enhance decision making to mitigate infectious disease threats.
- Provide technical inputs to the design, implementation (field work), data collection, reporting, and analysis of active and passive sampling protocols for priority infectious diseases.
- Provide technical assistance, supportive supervision, and mentoring to relevant project and MOH staff to develop, evaluate and/or update surveillance systems, epidemiologic and surveillance methods.
- Provide technical assistance for the integration and optimization of national and sub-national reporting systems for GHS priority pathogens and those of importance in Nigeria.
- Assist in the triangulation of laboratory data with other surveillance data from existing national repositories/databases to improve the surveillance network systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Experience in designing tools/methods/dashboards for data visualization
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation, data analysis and use in public health
- Strong negotiation, coordination, communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and experience of global health security surveillance and other relevant health programs
- Experience managing USG grants including CDC grants.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
- Comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, and practices in project management, process development and execution.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills to strategize, plan, and manage resources for successful completion of projects.
- Ability to build positive working relationships with the various stakeholders’ communities, government officials and other multilateral bodies and donor representatives.
- Experience working in a non-governmental organization (NGO) and in a resource limited context.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the ethical issues surrounding research and surveillance
Qualifications and Requirements
- MBBS or PhD in Public Health, Epidemiology or other relevant subjects and at least 3 – 5 years’ experience in managing and conducting epidemiological and/or surveillance in public health.
- Or MSc / MS in Public Health, epidemiology or other relevant subjects and at least 5 – 7 years’ experience in managing and conducting epidemiological and/or surveillance in public health.
- Or Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Public Health, epidemiology or other relevant subjects and at least 7 – 9 years’ experience in managing and conducting epidemiological and/or surveillance in public health.
Application Closing Date
6th March, 2020.