The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Enumerator
SVN No.: CFCV2020.090
Location: Yola, Adamawa (with frequent travels to field locations)
Organizational Unit: Shelter
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (Hourly) Contract
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Working under the overall supervision of the Shelter Program Manager and Shelter Project Officer, and the direct supervision of the Shelter Project Assistant, the incumbent will be responsible for beneficiary registration, conducting assessments and distributions, maintaining program related documentation, etc. in accordance with IOM’s regulations, rules, and procedures.
In particular, he/she will:
- Conduct shelter needs assessments according to standard tools provided by shelter unit, including conducting door to door assessments in IDP camps and out-of-camp locations.
- Conduct key informant interviews and focus group discussions as required by program needs.
- Arrange, lead, and carry out any distributions related to shelter activities maintaining all protocols and standard operating procedures.
- Conduct post-distribution and post-intervention monitoring of activities, including beneficiary feedback surveys guided by standard tools provided by the unit.
- Collect, record and report on success stories from different shelter activities, including transcription and translation of qualitative data such as audio-visual contents into word documents
- Liaise with other programme units and all relevant stakeholders (humanitarian partners, government, security forces) in the planning and implementation of activities.
- Ensure that the data collected through any of the above channels is of high quality and accurately reflects the responses received.
- Prepare, maintain and update Shelter beneficiary registration matrices and source documents by collecting relevant data from the field, as well as maintain effective communication with the supervisor to provide updates on the progress and the challenges encountered during the field data collection.
- Maintain data entry requirements by following relevant database program techniques and procedures.
- Verify encoded beneficiaries and projects related data by reviewing, correcting, deleting, or re-entering data; combining data and purging files to eliminate duplication of data.
- Organize and maintain records of all documents related to conducted activities, such as reports, pictures, success stories, and share them whenever requested.
- Secure information by completing database backups regularly.
- Maintain and protect operations by keeping information confidential.
- Coordinate with other units and external stakeholders in the field for ensuring smooth implementation of activities.
- Contribute to team efforts by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Follow IOM standard policies and procedures in all activities conducted.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Certificate / Diploma / Degree Level Education in Statistics / Business / Economics or any relevant field with excellent knowledge of database management systems.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in similar capacity, preferably within humanitarian field
- Excellent knowledge of working with Microsoft office suite, including Excel, Word, Power-point
- Knowledge of working with mobile data collection apps such as Kobo and ODK
- Minimum knowledge of humanitarian shelter programming is highly desirable
- Ability to work quickly and accurately, and pay attention to details
- An understanding of data confidentiality issues.
- Ability to multitask, excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Willingness to assist efficiently in a very busy environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Ability to stay in high-risk areas for a prolonged duration with remote management from supervisors
- Ability to present clear and concise information and good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Fluency in English and Hausa / Kanuri, Pidgin
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility.
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Application Closing Date
17th December, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their Applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position applied on subject line.
Click here for more information (PDF)
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line “CFCV2020.090. Shelter Enumerator Yola”
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.