Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Technical Assistant (Technical)
Webcruiter ID: 4201890573
Location: Pulka / Gwoza Brono.
Duration: 8 months
Full-time / part-time: Full-time
Percentage of full-time: 100
Commencement: April 2020
Level: Grade 4 Step 1 in the NRC grade structure
Duties and Responsibilities
- Pr-evaluation of needs (Targeting, Needs Assessment, Beneficiary Identification & Selection) and alert the hierarchy of any population movement in the area.
- Provide technical support and orientation to local technicians and community workers, train and develop their capacity
- Implement shelter construction activities, conduct technical assessment and approval of the quality of work and ensure better management of remaining material.
- Conduct community sensitization, awareness, and mobilization to encourage beneficiary commitment to the shelter activities.
- With the support of the Shelter Officer and Shelter coordinator, provide the drafts of technical drawings, Bill of Quantity, site plan and technical specification notes for shelter projects.
- construction designs or for any unpredictable soil constraints identified.
- Assist the shelter officer to accurately control the movement of trucks, quantities, and qualities of materials supplied to the site.
- Maintain good working relationships with local authorities, local communities, local committees, and partners as well as with all stakeholders in the NRC area of intervention
- Ensure the participation of female workers in key positions in the construction / rehabilitation of shelters and community infrastructures and other shelter activities
- Represent NRC in-field coordination meeting when required.
- University degree in Civil Engineering or Architecture
- Knowledge of the context in North-Eastern Nigeria
- Knowledge of the local language Hausa, Mandara and other local languages
- Experience on implementation of emergency shelter activities
- Experience in household sensitization and training in shelter and infrastructure maintenance
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, ARC GIS, and Google Earth
We Can Offer / Duty Station
- Salary / benefits: According to NRC’s general directions (Grade Level 4 Step 1)
- Duty stations: Pulka / Gwoza, Borno State – North-East Nigeria with 30% frequent travels. Travel outside duty stations is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
Application Closing Date
11th March, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Qualified Gwoza / Pulka indigenes are strongly encouraged to apply!!!
- An approved health certificate will be requested before the contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.