United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA) is one of Africa’s leading financial institutions, with operations in 19 African countries and 3 global financial centres: London, Paris and New York. From a single country organisation founded in 1949 in Nigeria UBA has grown to become a pan-African provider of financial services with over 11 million customers, through close to 1000 business offices and touch points globally.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: SME Credit Underwriter
- Ensures all SME loan requests are reviewed and analysed in line with the bank’s risk acceptance criteria approved for the product and credit policy
- Ensures SME loan requests comply with the bank’s empowerment framework
- Ensures that SME loan requests complies with extant regulatory guidelines and are presented in the bank’s prescribed format and standards
- Ensures SME transactions with policy exceptions and those that falls in the bank’s exclusion list are promptly escalated to the appropriate approving authority for necessary approval or decline decisions to be made
- Ensures all pre-approval documentations are in place on submitted SME loan requests
- Ensures all terms, conditions and transaction dynamics of SME Product papers are complied with during loan review and analysis
- Ensures credit checks are conducted on all credit requests
- Implement the bank’s credit operational processes, systems and practices that will guarantee low delinquency levels on the bank’s SME portfolio during loan review and analysis
- Any other duty as assigned by management.
Minimum Education Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance or another field with a strong quantitative and analytic focus.
- Post-graduate degree in related field or professional qualification preferred
Previous Work Experience Requirements:
- Minimum of 2 years banking experience in SME loan requests are reviewed and analysed in line with the bank’s risk acceptance criteria approved for the product and credit policy.
- Detailed knowledge of principles of credit risk & analysis
- Strong knowledge of accounting, internal control principles and governance frameworks in financial institutions
- Thorough knowledge of relevant legislation and regulatory requirements.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to use these skills during loan reviews
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Must be self-motivated and demonstrate a sense of ownership
- Must have excellent execution skills
- Must be process driven and constantly looking ways to optimize
- Must be innovative and in tune with industry/market developments, ever searching for better ways, effectiveness and efficiency
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Must demonstrate exceptional analytical and quantitative skills
- Must be able to manage time, prioritize tasks and work under pressure
- Must possess relationship building, negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Must have excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) in English.
Application Closing Date