The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) is the government agency with the mandate to coordinate the surveillance, detection and response to infectious disease outbreaks. Over the last three years, NCDC has deployed a new tool for disease surveillance. The Surveillance, Outbreak Response Management and Analysis System (SORMAS) is a system jointly developed between the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research (HZI) to improve disease surveillance as well as detection and management of outbreaks and thus strengthen the public health service in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Officer – State Public Health Laboratories Network
Outline Job Description
- Support the development of a framework with minimum standards for State public health laboratories including protocol for testing, reporting, collaboration, public health research etc.
- Support the development of a quality assurance system for State public health laboratories
- Develop a training programme / curriculum for the State public health laboratory network
- Develop a set of key performance indicators to be used across all State public health laboratories pre-, during and post-outbreaks
Qualifications and Requirements
- M.Sc in Laboratory Sciences or related field with a minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in provision of laboratory support.
- Experience in management of laboratory services particularly public health laboratory facility, including training laboratory staff, laboratory analysis / testing, interpretation and reporting techniques based on best practices, quality management practices, use of laboratory information management systems and safe work practices.
- Knowledge of the role of laboratories in disease surveillance and public health in Nigeria is essential
- Knowledge of research governance
- Demonstrable project management skills
- Proven ability to produce precise reports and briefs with attention to detail
- Proven experience of stakeholder engagement
- Well-developed computer skills.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of relevant social, political, and ethical issues
- Ability to work under pressure, stay on track and meet deadlines.
- Ability to manage complex operations and teams
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills – Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain good working relationships with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control National Reference Laboratory staff, State level laboratory colleagues and other stakeholders at national and State levels.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong team working skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
The position carry a competitive remuneration package.
Application Closing Date
11th December, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Candidates should indicate the appropriate position in their application letter.
- AFENET is an equal opportunity employer. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.