UNODC Recruitment 2018/2019 Application Form Vacancies is right here. The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) is a United Nations office that was established in 1997 as the Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention by combining the United Nations International Drug Control Program (UNDCP) and the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Division in the United Nations Office at Vienna. It is a member of the United Nations Development Group and was renamed the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime in 2002.
Read Also: Teach For Nigeria Recruitment 2018/2019 Form is Out – See today’s Vacancies Here
United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) are currently recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Programme Officer – Human Rights and Gender (Terrorism Prevention)
Job ID: 15791
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Contract Duration: Initial duration of one year
- This position is located in the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Country Office in Abuja, Nigeria (CONIG)
- Under the overall guidance of the UNODC Representative and the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the National Programme Officer Human Rights and Gender (Terrorism Prevention) will:
- Provide substantive inputs for assigned project activities aimed at strengthening criminal justice responses to terrorism in Nigeria, with primary focus on human rights and gender dimensions;
- Carry out substantive and organizational liaison especially with relevant project’s national stakeholders; and
- Provide support for the project’s overall coordination and implementation
- S/he will work in close teaming with other colleagues of the project, in CONIG and in the Terrorism Prevention Branch of UNODC, to create synergy and achieve full coordination of project activities and effective project partnerships, especially with the project’s Nigerian stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will carry out the following tasks:
- Provide substantive input on legal, criminal justice, terrorism prevention and rule of law aspects for assigned areas and activities of the project, with primary focus on human rights and gender dimensions. This will entail conducting research, compiling and preparing substantive papers, draft concept notes, draft agendas etc. as well as assisting in the substantive conduct of project activities.
- Carry out substantive and organizational liaison especially with the project’s national stakeholders. Coordinate and liaise regularly on project activities planning and implementation with relevant national partners (including designated focal points and other senior professionals), and international partners present in Nigeria. Facilitate the smooth and effective flow of communication with national entities, by maintaining regular contact, providing required information, etc. Support the Project Manager and Project Staff in following-up communication with beneficiary institutions, including official letters, request for technical assistance, and the process of identifying participants and national experts, including trainers, for activities under the project.
- Advise the Project Manager and Project Staff of local considerations and realities for proper and effective project implementation, as well as on ways to strengthen partnerships with beneficiary institutions.
- Provide support for the project’s overall management and coordination. Contribute to the preparation of project reports, technical briefings, background papers, briefing notes, and speeches related to the project, with focus on human rights and gender.
- Carry out programmatic and administrative tasks necessary for the achievement of expected results of the project. Provide the necessary substantive and administrative support to project activities as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated professional competence in legal, crime prevention, criminal justice, human rights and rule of law matters. Knowledge of national law, policies and practices at the national, regional and international levels on human rights and gender issues related to counter-terrorism; knowledge of programme management cycle, including monitoring and reporting; ability to identify and contribute to the solution of problems/challenges
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively with a range of audiences, including ability to prepare reports and make presentations in a variety of fora; ability to conduct presentations by clearly formulating positions on issues, articulating options concisely, conveying maximum necessary information as well as making and defending recommendations
- Possesses excellent drafting and communication skills
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
- Identifies clients needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Proven interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Works collaboratively with colleagues within and outside of UNODC to achieve organizational goals; solicits inputs by genuinely valuing others ideas and expertise; demonstrates willingness to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
- Able to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate, and monitor work while prioritizing competing demands; able to work on tight deadlines; knowledge on how to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and projects as necessary; uses time efficiently.
UNODC Recruitment 2018/2019 Application Form Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree) in Law, Criminology or closely related fields.
- A minimum of 2 years of progressive responsible experience in legal, criminal justice, crime prevention or closely related rule of law work.
- Work experience in substantive liaison and coordination in these areas would be an asset.
- Work experience in implementing capacity building activities for criminal justice entities in Nigeria, including on human rights and gender dimensions of terrorism is highly desirable
- Experience in project implementation is also highly desirable.
- Knowledge of UNODC work and work experience in the United Nations System would be an asset.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- For the post advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of other UN official languages is an asset.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply online
Application Closing Date: 16th September, 2018
- All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.